WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello!

I'm trying to launch the rails console over a ssh session on my webfaction account.

Usually, I don't have any problems doing that, but now I'm getting the following error:

FATAL: Listen error: unable to monitor directories for changes. Visit https://github.com/guard/listen/wiki/Increasing-the-amount-of-inotify-watchers for info on how to fix this.

I visited the github page, and the explanation is this:

Listen uses inotify by default on Linux to monitor directories for changes. It's not uncommon to encounter a system limit on the number of files you can monitor. For example, Ubuntu Lucid's (64bit) inotify limit is set to 8192.

[...]

When this limit is not enough to monitor all files inside a directory, the limit must be increased for Listen to work properly.

The problem however, is that the solution that the suggest involve root priviledges, and -just like every other webfaction customer- i have limited priviledges on my account.

What other solution can there be for this problem? Is even my diagnose right?

Thank you in advance for your help, I'll be glad to provide you with more details if you need them

Cheerio!

asked 07 Jul, 16:22

khf88's gravatar image

khf88
accept rate: 0%

Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×105
×2

question asked: 07 Jul, 16:22

question was seen: 60 times

last updated: 07 Jul, 16:22

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM