WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm building a blog for a client here on WF and we would prefer it to show up as a subdirectory on the clients main site, but I do not manage or have access to their main site. I understand that it will require some work on the client's main site, but if it's easy enough my client could have their other developer handle that part. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction to accomplish this.

e.g. blog/mysite to theirsite/blog

Here are a couple things I pulled off the web. The first one assumes that the main site is on cpanel and cpanel can do this.

For example (in my hosting service -which uses cPanel), if you have registered the sub-directory as a subdomain, then it can be recognized on the internet and has been given an A record. If you were to change that A record to point to a different host IP, then it should be able to host that website on that remote server.

Here is the second conversation from the web that might shed some light...

Lets say you have Domain1.com and you have a webpage at domain2.net/test What you want to do is point whatever.domain1.com to www.domain2.net/test right? What you do is: 1. Setup whatever.domain1.com dns entry so it resolves to domain1.com webserver ip address. 2. Add the corresponding lines in the domain1.com WEBSERVER so it sends the URL requests for whatever.domain1.comn to www.domain2.net/test

OR

If you also have access to domain2.net webserver config files: 1. Setup whatever.domain1.com dns entry so it resolves to domain2.net webserver ip address. 2. Add the corresponding lines in the domain2.net WEBSERVER so it sends the URL requests for whatever.domain1.com to www.domain2.net/test

Any help in figuring out how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated!

This question is marked "community wiki".

asked 27 Jul, 16:38

tom777's gravatar image

tom777
accept rate: 0%

This will all have to be done on the remote side. They'll need to use mod_proxy (assuming they are using Apache) to pull in whatever.domain1.com and serve it from domain2.com/blog.

permanent link

answered 27 Jul, 22:34

seanf's gravatar image

seanf ♦♦
12.0k21534
accept rate: 37%

Thanks for the guidance on this.

(28 Jul, 11:45) tom777 tom777's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×238
×17
×14

question asked: 27 Jul, 16:38

question was seen: 273 times

last updated: 28 Jul, 11:45

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM