WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I followed the instructions to setup HTTPS via acme.sh via this post:

Using LetsEncrypt

It will also create a cron job to automatically check your certificates for renewal (inspect your crontab to see it).

Unfortunately, the cron job created by acme.sh failed to renew my certs and now my sites are throwing privacy errors.

Questions:

1. Why did the cron fail?
  2. How can I get automation to work?
  3. If I can't automate this process using a cron, what are the manual steps I need to take in order to get my sites back to normal?
  4. if I have to manually maintain certificates, can I set the time period to be longer than (what I think is) 90 days?

Thanks!

asked 14 Sep, 03:57

mhulse's gravatar image

mhulse
accept rate: 0%

edited 14 Sep, 03:58

1. I read the line you have in cron, 4 0 * * * "/home/USERNAME/.acme.sh"/acme.sh --cron --home "/home/USERNAME/.acme.sh" > /dev/null And ran it in shell without the end which routes it to null, The script is failing to get responses from your domains.

2. Get it to work in shell. If it worked in the past then something is causing it to fail now. This isn't an issue with cron or scheduling future tasks.

3. See 1 and 2.

4. The CA determines the 90 day window, you can't get them to increase it as this is part of their design of providing automated certificates.

I have seen 1 ticket today with the same error although the settings were correct, so perhaps something is broken upstream.

permanent link

answered 14 Sep, 22:01

johns's gravatar image

johns ♦♦
4.9k29
accept rate: 23%

Thank you @johns! I am trying you suggestions now. I really appreciate your help! I'll report back my findings. Thank you for pointing me in right direction. :)

(15 Sep, 01:49) mhulse mhulse's gravatar image

So, when I run this: "/home/USERNAME/.acme.sh"/acme.sh --cron --home "/home/USERNAME/.acme.sh"I get this:

site.com:Verify error:Invalid response from http://site.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/HASHGOESHERE

I'm not sure why, but it appears to be looking for a hidden directory called .well-known; this directory does not exist in either of my site's web roots.

I'm still debugging … Just wanted to post an update.

(15 Sep, 04:43) mhulse mhulse's gravatar image

For anyone else in same situation, looks like the WebFaction script for LetsEncrypt is pretty well documented over here: https://github.com/will-in-wi/letsencrypt-webfaction, I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with my sites, but I think this repo will help get this issue figured out.

(19 Sep, 02:54) mhulse mhulse's gravatar image

Ooops, ignore my last comment. That's the alternative script; I followed the instructions via this post: https://community.webfaction.com/questions/19988/using-letsencrypt/19989 which I prefer the simple approach (as outlined in the previous post).

(19 Sep, 03:06) mhulse mhulse's gravatar image
(19 Sep, 03:33) mhulse mhulse's gravatar image

I ended up switching back to HTTP. This was way too much maintenance for simple sites. I really am looking forward to WebFaction making HTTPS easy ... I think I read another forum post that talked about integrating LetsEncrypt into the WebFaction control panel.

(19 Sep, 04:34) mhulse mhulse's gravatar image
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×85
×69
×19

question asked: 14 Sep, 03:57

question was seen: 3,249 times

last updated: 19 Sep, 04:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM