WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi. On September 2nd my cron jobs suddenly stopped working. I've tracked it down to the following cause:

In 2016 the Webfaction User Guide said

"By default, mail sent through sendmail is from a sendmailusername@servername.webfaction.com address, where username is your username and servername is the name of the server. Alternatively, you may specify an outgoing address in the message’s From header. Note: A sendmailusername@servername.webfaction.com address can only be used to send email. Incoming messages cannot be received at such an address."

Now it says

"Note: By default, mail sent through sendmail is from a user@host.webfaction.com address, where user is your username and host is the name of the server. Our mail system will not allow messages to be sent from such addresses, so be sure to set a valid sender address in your application."

Was there any warning of this change that I missed? If not, should there have been? Thanks.

asked 23 Sep, 14:08

atherton's gravatar image

atherton
accept rate: 0%

We did make a change and have reverted that for now. It is being done to reduce the chances of spam being sent by our smtp servers and to lessen the chances they are blacklisted.

We documented it and are updating the process on the following link.

https://statusblog.webfaction.com/2017/08/11/new-outgoing-email-address-restriction-coming-1-september-2017/

Hope this helps!

permanent link

answered 23 Sep, 14:15

aaront's gravatar image

aaront ♦♦
accept rate: 28%

Great, thanks. So in terms of fixing my cron job, the mutt command now looks like this:

... | /usr/bin/mutt -e "my_hdr From:myname@mydomain.com" -s "test" -- recipient@example.com

and it appears to be working, except that the resulting emails still contain headers of the form

Return-Path: user@host.webfaction.com

Will that be a problem, and if so, how does one specify the correct Return-Path setting for mutt?

(23 Sep, 16:56) atherton atherton's gravatar image

The FROM path is OK and should be acceptable. I have added a note to the internal ticket to make sure we test for mutt and to ensure the Return path will not cause a problem when we make those changes live again.

(23 Sep, 17:40) aaront ♦♦ aaront's gravatar image
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×10
×7
×1

question asked: 23 Sep, 14:08

question was seen: 139 times

last updated: 23 Sep, 17:40

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM