WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Okay, this is not a real question, so if it's not suitable for this community page please excuse me.

First of all, I really like the Webfaction and their service. I am a customer of you more than two years and I didn't feel regret about that even one day. And I am not thinking that changing my hosting company, I am all good. But this: there is no Let's Encrypt integration feels me very sad :(

Are we really have to use some unofficial cli tools? I know giving ETA is not possible but waiting without any information is really frustrating. Even very cheap and under quality hosting companies offers that let's encrypt integration with one click. But that flexible and good quality hosting company can't? I am waiting here for more than three months with no information about when we can use that. And I decided to open account and post this into community page.

So please at least give us a little information what phase are you in? Still creating or alpha or beta or qa or testing? Anything will be helpful but waiting as blind is really really frustrating. I didn't want anything from Webfaction that much, so please please please make it real as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding and good work and this good service, please keep it better at all times.

Cheers

asked 24 Nov '17, 13:54

coderontheroad's gravatar image

coderontheroad
accept rate: 0%

We're putting the final touches on our LE integration and hope to roll it out very soon. Sorry for the delays!

permanent link

answered 24 Nov '17, 14:51

seanf's gravatar image

seanf
12.1k21635
accept rate: 37%

Sean, can you please be more concrete about 'real soon'? Are you talking about one week, one month, three months?

(26 Nov '17, 11:15) Stephen Stephen's gravatar image

Probably about a week, barring any unforeseen issues.

(28 Nov '17, 20:51) seanf seanf's gravatar image

Sean, can you please share an update one month later? Have you found unforeseen issues? How much has this been delayed? Feels like any other Web Hosting Provider on the planet earth integrated LetsEncrypt certificates. What about WF?

(20 Dec '17, 11:47) htrex htrex's gravatar image

We've indeed hit some unforeseen issues, looking at mid January now, hopefully.

(20 Dec '17, 13:28) seanf seanf's gravatar image

Hi Sean, any update on this? I'd be happy to help out on the testing side (or documentation, even) if that will help.

(17 Jan, 16:35) JustAnotherW... JustAnotherWebFactionUser's gravatar image

Our development team is still working on it, there is no exact ETA.

(17 Jan, 23:56) johns ♦♦ johns's gravatar image

Best of luck to the WebFaction team on solving any roadblocks on the way and implementing a solution for this, I've been keeping my eye on this for quite some time as well.

The cli tool that comes up through search is a duct tape solution that although works, has caused us some issues in the past as it is dependant on knowing your account credentials due to the limitations of the WebFaction API (we updated our user credentials and forgot about this and had a certificate expire), and stops you from re-pointing a domain to another application without re-configuring the cli tool (almost forgot about this one as well, but set up notifications for the failed cron job).

I do however understand the unforeseen complications that can come up in implementing what can seem like a simple feature and just like @coderontheroad, otherwise really appreciate the services offered by WebFaction.

(18 Jan, 21:15) bh-scott bh-scott's gravatar image

The tone and desires in this thread are exactly where I'm at too. We all need to start running our sites on https for a variety of reasons, but I (like many of you I suppose) are drawn to Webfaction for it's intuitive control panel and helpful support. No CPanel in sight!

I have been told by support that they are nearly there with Let's Encrypt integration for a while now. I was told "soon" back in August 2017, and "likely within the next few weeks" on 13 October 2017. This lack of transparency and failure to meet their rough ETAs is eroding my confidence. I am in no doubt that the work is complicated but clarity on where progress currently is would be greatly appreciated.

(31 Jan, 12:10) wesort wesort's gravatar image

Development of a full Letsencrypt integration within our panel is close to being finished, with mostly some minor fixes and touches left.

Unless a blocking issue arises, it'll be up to me to work on bringing our documentation up-to-date with the latest code and UI changes, which should start around the end of next week, as I'll be at FOSDEM this weekend (and feel free to let me know if you are also there!) and then have some days off.

Finally, we'll need to spend some time testing the final release again before making it live.

Some might arguably find this answer tiresome but we can't provide an exact ETA at this time when all of the above will be completed.

(01 Feb, 09:17) iliasr ♦♦ iliasr's gravatar image
showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

I am afraid it's time to think another hosting company. I really like Webfaction but they are not offering option about let's encrypt. It's closing to 1 year slowly and I don't have any hope we can use it soon. So I am searching new company and will start to move production sites one by one. If you have any suggestion you can send me a message.

permanent link

answered 29 Jan, 11:32

coderontheroad's gravatar image

coderontheroad

WebFaction is organised in a way that makes it hard to easily provide letsencrypt utility as other providers do (i.e., having sudo rights and all). But there is this method: https://community.webfaction.com/questions/19988/using-letsencrypt

I certainly don't see why you need to look for a new company.

(15 Feb, 16:08) pushkarmishra pushkarmishra's gravatar image

@pushkarmishra I think you didn't understand the workflow here. Google starts to assign not https sites as unsecure after July 2018. So this means if you create a website on Webfaction without extra step to install ssl Chrome will show an alert on that site is about "This site is not secure". I am sure other browsers on the way too.

So creating website without SSL is becoming useless and I don't want to use any third party (not official) thing for SSL. Because if anything goes wrong with your site Webfaction will not get responsibility and you will stay with your own.

So automatic SSL is not feature that we expect, it is necessary for any hosting company.

(yesterday) coderontheroad coderontheroad's gravatar image

I agree that it would be nice if webfaction integrates lets encrypt in panel but it is not big problem to manually setup certificate and that would be the last factor in my decision to change hosting provider. Never had any problems with webfaction and always keeping service at the top level!

permanent link

answered 31 Jan, 15:48

ivan32x's gravatar image

ivan32x

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×22

question asked: 24 Nov '17, 13:54

question was seen: 898 times

last updated: yesterday

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM