WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Has anyone had any luck building Inkscape from source? I found this old post but it's very outdated:

https://community.webfaction.com/questions/3111/how-to-install-inkscape-and-apg

I'm currently using ImageMagick to convert SVGs to PNGs but it's not doing a great job. I know Inkscape will work nicely but it's been very difficult getting all the dependencies installed. The same goes for RSVG. Any advice on either getting ImageMagick to work better or installing something with fewer dependencies?

asked 15 May, 22:23

amseufert
accept rate: 0%

Can you give some more details as to the sort of problem you're having with ImageMagick?

(18 May, 20:31) seanf

I'm using Python script to inject some data into an SVG template and then I'm converting to a PNG since the SVG file would be massive. I have the exact same script I'm using to generate and convert the SVG running on another machine with Inkscape and it renders the PNG perfectly to the template. When I ImageMagick, however, all the fonts get mashed together improperly and the some the layers don't behave properly.

The template was created by a designer using Inkscape's desktop version, so I see what appears to be Inkscape specific tags in the SVG file. I've tried removing them to see if this is the problem without much luck.

I'm admittedly not very familiar with SVGs and how to properly convert them, so I'm sure theres a better way of doing things than I am, but I thought installing Inkscape would solve things most easily.

I see ryans' commented below, so finger crossed this works. Thanks for the help! Webfaction is awesome!

(20 May, 15:56) amseufert

I've opened an internal ticket with our sysadmins to see if they can install this server wide on our servers.

Edit: This has been deployed everywhere.

permanent link

answered 16 May, 20:46

bmeyer71 ♦♦
1.5k3613
accept rate: 33%

edited 22 May, 02:15

ryans ♦♦
5.0k73159

That would be amazing!

(17 May, 11:19) amseufert

@amseufert We've now deployed this on your servers and will roll it out everywhere else within the next 48 hours.

(20 May, 14:37) ryans ♦♦

Great news! I'll give this a try later today! Thanks for the quick turnaround! Really appreciate it

(20 May, 15:57) amseufert
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×11
×3
×2

question asked: 15 May, 22:23

question was seen: 252 times

last updated: 22 May, 02:15

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM