WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Well the GDPR is now doing what it's supposed to and I'm now informed in the Privacy Policy (https://www.webfaction.com/privacy) that Godaddy actually owns WebFaction -- something I didn't know before now.

IANAL, and the fine nuances of the data relationships between WebFaction and Godaddy are not entirely clear to me.

The Privacy Policy starts off by saying "Webfaction cares about your privacy. For this reason, we ..." [my bold]. "We" is used throughout and is presumed to mean WebFaction.

However, in the section that talks about Godaddy, it uses the 3rd person: "Our parent company, Go Daddy Operating Company, LLC ... participates in ... [the] ... Privacy Shield Framework. ... Go Daddy Operating Company, LLC is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives ..." [my bold].

It is not clear to me whether everything said about WebFaction's use of my data is also true of Godaddy or vice versa. More importantly, it is also not clear to me what data it receives from WebFaction.

So to the questions. If I use a server in Europe and I am located in Europe, what data has WebFaction sent to Godaddy or third parties? Specifically:

1. What data does Godaddy keep, or have access to, on me? and
  2. What data does Godaddy keep, or have access to, on the people who view my webpages?
  3. Does WebFaction transfer personal information (such as date of birth, address or other identifying information) to advertisers? If so, which?

Thanks for enlightening me on these questions.

asked 27 May, 14:48

JustAnotherW...
accept rate: 25%

1. We only have on file what you put in your account information. We only use this information to contact you about the account or bill you or perform normal maintenance tasks/warnings. This is viewed or usable by our support staff.

2. Your application generates a log which shows visitors. That log is on our servers in your home directory, readable by you. We do not keep this log elsewhere or use any data within it for any purpose.

3. No. We do not sell any personal info to advertisers.

permanent link

answered 27 May, 21:43

johns ♦♦
5.2k211
accept rate: 22%

edited 27 May, 21:44

Thanks for the quick reply John,

• For (1) and (2), does "we" include Godaddy, or just WebFaction? I specifically want to know if the parent company, Godaddy, has access to my information.
  • For (3), could you comment on transfer of data, not sales of data?

Thanks.

(28 May, 13:44) JustAnotherW...
  • Godaddy, as the parent company of WebFaction, can and will have access to the sales and customer information.

• WebFaction neither sells or transfers personal data to advertisers.

(01 Jun, 09:07) iliasr ♦♦

This was a surprise to me as well.

Looks like shortly after Webfaction was acquired by Paragon in 2016, GoDaddy then acquired HEG, Paragon's parent group.

I appreciate the clarification regarding private data use, which does seem reasonable, but I'd guess many of the developers who chose Webfaction were partly trying to avoid the GoDaddys of the industry. I at least hope Webfaction's internal operations have remained relatively unaffected affected by the acquisitions.

permanent link

answered 28 May, 10:24

peteleidy
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×12
×5
×2

question asked: 27 May, 14:48

question was seen: 245 times

last updated: 01 Jun, 09:07

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM