WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a webfaction site where we secure a portion with a few ID's in the password file and .htaccess rules. Works for all but two people. I test logging in with the relevant ID and correct password, and it works just fine. Works for me on Apple OSX with Safari and Chrome, Windows with IE and Edge, iPhone and iPad using mobile phone data (not wifi). So I conclude that I've set up the .htaccess ok. I assume this is a valid conclusion!

Yet two users are unable to login successfully. One gives me the error message from Windows IE as "This Server could not verify that you are authorised to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required". The other user, sadly, just reports, "it's not working and I'm getting frustrated" with no indication of the error message. I believe her.

Ideas?

asked 05 Jul, 05:48

rmschne
accept rate: 0%

edited 05 Jul, 06:06

johns ♦♦
5.2k211

Have them clear their browser and DNS cache and try a different browser.

permanent link

answered 05 Jul, 06:07

johns ♦♦
5.2k211
accept rate: 22%

Thanks. I'll suggest that, but it appears their DNS is resolving to the site so I'm not sure what this will accomplish. But will try.

(05 Jul, 06:33) rmschne
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×33

question asked: 05 Jul, 05:48

question was seen: 809 times

last updated: 05 Jul, 06:33

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM