WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have a phpBB site which has been running for years on a shared server without too many problems.

Very occasionally - months apart - I've had issues where I run out of memory because there are lots of phpBB-related processes running, and I/WebFaction have to kill some processes to get things going again.

But the last couple of weeks it's happening all the time - no sooner do I kill processes but they start racking up again. Submitting posts/messages in phpBB causes the browser to spend ages trying to load - the message generally submits, but the page never refreshes. It's like it gets stuck at some point beyond saving the message. Also, emails notifying users of private messages are no longer being sent - I guess the process never gets to that point.

But I don't know how to resolve this. Since the last time I've reinstalled all the phpBB files from a fresh download, in case there was something corrupted.

The processes are generally for one of cron.php, posting.php or sometimes ucp.php. I'm running php 7.1.

Any ideas gratefully received!

asked 25 Jul, 18:02

philgyford
accept rate: 0%

Check the phpBB database for corrupted tables. It sounds like phpBB could be hung up waiting on the database.

permanent link

answered 25 Jul, 21:08

maryh ♦♦
1.3k7
accept rate: 35%

Thanks for the suggestion maryh, good idea! I've now run mysqlcheck on the database, but it says everything is OK.

(26 Jul, 08:41) philgyford

Use strace to see what the CGI processes are doing.

permanent link

answered 26 Jul, 21:09

johns ♦♦
5.3k212
accept rate: 23%

edited 26 Jul, 21:10

Thanks johns. Sort-of-annoyingly, everything is working fine now, and I don't have loads of processes sitting there doing nothing! Next time it happens I'll give this a go...

(28 Jul, 11:46) philgyford
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×5

question asked: 25 Jul, 18:02

question was seen: 321 times

last updated: 28 Jul, 11:46

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM