WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I want to install the OwnCloud app but all the tutorials involve older versions that no longer work (like the "one-click" install which doesn't work for OwnCloud X).

Their documentation says I need to install a virtual environment (options: ESXi, VirtualBox, VMware, KVM).

Do any of these work on WebFaction? Is there one that's "best"?

I'm going to keep playing around but if anybody has experience with this, please share. Also, I'll update this with info once I succeed.

1. What kind of app should I set up for the virtualizer?
  2. Which virtualizer should I use?
  3. Is there anything specific about OwnCloud on WebFaction that I should know?

asked 04 Aug, 17:47

pattmayne
accept rate: 0%

edited 04 Aug, 17:49

It's been a while since I've used OwnCloud, but I have installed it's fork - NextCloud, in a regular PHP application. I imagine OwnCloud would be setup in the same way. What exact error are you encountering on our platform when attempting to install it?

permanent link

answered 04 Aug, 21:52

NickR ♦♦
accept rate: 18%

Thanks Nick. I installed NextCloud and it works just fine, but all the third-party apps (OnlyOffice, etherpad) don't automatically work within NextCloud. I can't get OnlyOffice unless I have a Docker daemon somewhere, which WebFaction doesn't allow. And I tried running EtherPad but so far it's not working.

When I run EtherPad in a custom app I just get BAD GATEWAY.

(04 Aug, 21:58) pattmayne

There may be some dependencies for them to work, we have some other resources here on the forum, eg. for Etherpad, here and here.

(04 Aug, 22:08) NickR ♦♦

Thanks for responding NickR.

I have Etherpad running in a custom app. I adjusted the settings to listen to the appropriate port. But I'm just getting a "SERVER NOT FOUND" error

In the command terminal everything looks good, but when I go to the URL sometimes it works like it should, other times it says "Unable to connect."

When it works, it's only the main loading screen saying "Start a new pad." When I start the pad or open an existing one, I get sent back to the "Unable to connect" screen. And then the main loading screen is also gone.

Further, it seems like I have to run it from the command line (bin/run.sh) but I got booted from the console (timeout) and now when I try to start it again I get the "EADDRINUSE" error because the port's already in use from the previous run.

I get this thing running in Ubuntu is just a few minutes. No problem at all. But I need something I can access everywhere, so I want to install it on webfaction.

(04 Aug, 23:06) pattmayne

I was able to get etherpad working in a Nodejs app - https://my.webfaction.com/applications/ updating the settings as you mentioned to load from 127.0.0.1 and the nodejs port. I can't say I experienced any connection issues while it was running in terminal. You can open a support ticket if you want to troubleshoot this further with us.

(05 Aug, 00:07) NickR ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×7
×5
×1

question asked: 04 Aug, 17:47

question was seen: 234 times

last updated: 29 Aug, 05:34

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM