WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello,

I'm moving all my sites to Grav CMS and testing how they behave with Pingdom & GTmetrix tests.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that if I perform the above tests by using Hiawatha web server compiled on my own (along with PHP-FPM) I achieve better scores than when using system-wide Apache2 and tweaking .htaccess file.

Considering that I'm not expert with Apache2 I wonder if I should be able to achieve similar scores when running the above tests with Apache2 and tweaking .htaccess than when using my own Hiawatha web server running behind nginx (reverse-proxy)?

If I would run my own VPN than I'd probably use Hiawatha as my main front-end server, but there is a good reason why I'm staying with Webfaction in order to avoid fiddling with admin overhead when maintaining the whole server. Otoh, if I can achieve similar/same results with tweaking Apache's .htaccess file it would spare me from another admin overhead - compiling my own Hiawathat server, building php-fpm etc.?

I'm especially puzzled that e.g .GTMetrix reports gives F0 score for "gzip compression", while some other testing sites report it is working for my (https) site(s)?

Any hint?

asked 14 Aug, 20:13

gour
accept rate: 0%

Check the community post here to see how to debug and optimize php cgi processes. It won't be a matter of modifying .htaccess alone, you will have to see what the processes are doing to have an idea of what needs to be modified.

permanent link

answered 14 Aug, 22:51

johns ♦♦
5.2k211
accept rate: 22%

Check the community post here to see how to debug and optimize php cgi processes. It won't be a matter of modifying .htaccess alone

Hmm, I'm not sure it is related to php cgi debugging, iow. it's not that those processes are slow, but it must be related to the configuration of the webserver itself. Let me say that I use out-of-the-box setup with Hiawatha only adding "Vary: Accept-Encoding" header, but I wonder why the relation of nginx <--> Hiawatha is much better then nginx <--> Apache2?

(15 Aug, 10:20) gour

Questions like that are answered by debugging. I don't run Hiawatha and haven't seen anyone use it on our platform in a support scope, so its hard to speculate. You may want to ask the developer community there to see how you can debug those processes and compare the output.

(15 Aug, 21:09) johns ♦♦

As for nginx, it is acting as a simple proxy and will forward the headers and body intact. The speed at which the page is rendered depends on the back end server.

(15 Aug, 21:09) johns ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×222
×6
×1

question asked: 14 Aug, 20:13

question was seen: 92 times

last updated: 15 Aug, 21:10

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM