WebFaction
Community site: login faq

This is super basic, but I'm trying to follow better coding practices.

I want to develop a django website locally and deploy to my WebFaction server. I setup git through bit bucket and pulled but I forgot how to get the website to then point to this django app as opposed to the default one that was created when I added the application (myproject), which I'd like to remove.

Is anyone willing to give me a summary of how to deploy?

asked 26 Aug, 19:56

hbetx9
accept rate: 0%

I should maybe explain a bit more about where I am confused. Please be kind, I'm new to lots of this:

I want to use a django-CMS and update code on my local machine. I want to setup a git repo to version control. Then I want to have a website/app on WebFaction where I do a git pull, restart apache, and have the code updated there.

On my local machine, I set up a pipenv with similar django and python versions to the stock ones installed by WebFaction's one click django app.

Finally, I'm also unclear about how to get the WebFaction webpage to point to a particular app that is installed on it.

I have read many of the similar posts about this, but (1) a lot of the info is out of date, and (2) many things still seem unclear. If someone could provide clear steps on setting up the workflow, that would be appreciated.

(26 Aug, 21:01) hbetx9

An example of one issue is when I git pull the repo after updating on the development side, I need to reconfigure apache to use the correct wsgi.py. I did this by changing the relevant lines of WSGIDaemonProcess and WSGIScriptAlias, but continue to get 500 errors.

Also, on the development server, I use pipenv but I don't believe this is necessary on the production server correct?

(27 Aug, 01:30) hbetx9
Be the first one to answer this question!
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×901
×110

question asked: 26 Aug, 19:56

question was seen: 83 times

last updated: 27 Aug, 01:30

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM