WebFaction
Community site: login faq

On a shared plan, it is stated that it comes with "Shared multi-core CPU" and "1GB RAM".

My interpretation for CPU means that the server CPU total resources are shared among the users residing on the server, so there's no fixed usage limit but rather a sharing of available CPU resources by using cgroups, is this correct?

However, as for the RAM, does this mean that if a server has, let's say, 100 users, is the server prepared to provide 100 GB of RAM if all users decide to use their full RAM allowance of 1 GB each?

I'm asking because estimating the users on a shared server with wc -l /etc/passwd returned ~250 but total RAM memory installed seems to be 126 GB currently.

asked 19 Oct, 23:45

teks
accept rate: 0%

CPU: You may use as much CPU as you want, provided it is not more then 90% of any given core for more then 5 minutes.

RAM: Your resident set size can not go over your RAM limit. The OS manages RAM and swap.

permanent link

answered 20 Oct, 00:16

johns ♦♦
5.3k212
accept rate: 23%

Thank you! I couldn't find anything written about CPU on the usage quotas or usage monitoring sections of the docs (only RAM, storage and bandwidth), perhaps it would be a good idea to add it? Moreover, I'm still curious about my example question: "if a server has, let's say, 100 users, is the server prepared to provide 100 GB of RAM if all users decide to use their full RAM allowance of 1 GB each?"

(20 Oct, 15:25) teks

All users on the server need to stay within the usage limits. Many customers have secondary users configured on the shared servers so utilizing /etc/passwd is not a reliable way to count the users.

There is an algorithm used to assign users to a server based on resources and need. All users on any particular server can utilize the full RAM allowance at any time.

If there are any issues you are encountering or concerns feel free to open a support ticket where it can be addressed.

(20 Oct, 17:42) aaront ♦♦

Thank you, it's now clear. I'm just looking for ways to monitor my website performance and wanted to be aware of the bigger picture on how the whole server resource management works.

(21 Oct, 06:11) teks
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×12

question asked: 19 Oct, 23:45

question was seen: 114 times

last updated: 21 Oct, 06:11

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM