WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Until recently, it was possible to pay for webfaction services "directly" with credit card (I think "2checkout" was the payment provider being used in the background), but now it doesn't matter what option is selected in the "payment method" list, all of them lead to a PayPal payment page. Can you please fix this?

In my organization we've had bad experiences with "verification fees" from paypal which become a real hassle to explain/fight back with the bank so we want to avoid them.

asked 06 Dec, 16:04

teks
accept rate: 0%

UPDATE: We've reverted the changes for the time being. Please see The related status blog entry.

We've been using PayPal as our primary gateway payment for many years.

When you were using our Making Payment control panel page, it was transmitting your credit card details over a secure network to PayPal to handle and charge. Due to PCI security reasons we've decided to do this procedure through PayPal's site directly (hence we do not store your card details, not even temporarily like we used to).

You should be able to use a guest checkout account to make an one-off payment or create a recurring one.

A $0.10 verification fee was always being charged, even with the old method, and that was being cancelled automatically as soon as your card was verified.

That said, if you wish to not use paypal, we have an alternative payment gateway that you can use (2Checkout), but it is only for one-off payments. To use that, please raise a support ticket.

permanent link

answered 06 Dec, 16:14

iliasr ♦♦
2.0k14
accept rate: 36%

edited 2 days ago

I see, thanks a lot for the new information that I didn't know. I will evaluate it and open a support ticket if needed. Thank you,

(06 Dec, 16:55) teks

I trusted that because you said paypal was actually being used internally for many years, I would give it a try using the now mandatory paypal's own interface.

As expected, besides the payment made, now there's an extra charge of 1 USD (not 0.1) which in our local currency is a considerable amount unfortunately. Moreover, from previous (horrible) experiences with paypal this can take from 1 to 2 months to clear up and be "refunded" in the bank.

This irks me so much because it also interferes with the accountant review of the bank statements....

So my conclusions are:

1) Paypal is just as horrible as always. I will continue to avoid it. (plenty of cases of arbitrary funds freezing, account locks, ridiculous paperwork expected to be submitted to them, no effective authority to supervise them, etc)

2) Either your internal payment processor was NOT paypal, or the internal "linking" that you said you did, didn't cause the verification charges from paypal, somehow. So please be aware of this difference in case you start getting more complains from customers like me that get this extra charges for whatever arbitrary reasons of paypal.

IMPORTANT: Please note that I didn't get any extra charges/fees using the previous form provided in the control panel in many years with different cards. I also don't get extra charges like this when paying for online services elsewhere using different payment processors (that are NOT paypal).

3) will be bugging you monthly asking for a different payment processor. Please consider automating this process as asking for it on a support ticket every time seems troublesome for both webfaction and the customers. Perhaps you can re-use the previous credit card payment form on the control panel and link it to 2checkout? or auto send to the 2checkout payment gateway from the control panel without the need of asking for it manually every time.

Thank you.

(07 Dec, 05:08) teks

Thank you for your feedback. We'll forward it to our developers and management.

Paypal has indeed been our default pre-processor for more than 9 years now.

Regarding 2checkout, you can re-use the link the support team will generate. You will not need to manually ask it everytime by raising a ticket.

(07 Dec, 07:06) iliasr ♦♦

I'm very grateful for you taking feedback into account. Much appreciated!

(2 days ago) teks
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×6
×1

question asked: 06 Dec, 16:04

question was seen: 67 times

last updated: 2 days ago

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM