WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I'm getting a php error on class "DateInterval" and have read this is only available in php 5.3, any plans to update the webfaction php from 5.2 to 5.3 in the near future?

Thanks stegzzz

asked 18 Feb '11, 12:22

stegzzz
accept rate: 66%

We do hope to make PHP 5.3 available sometime soon-ish, but I can't provide an ETA right now.

If you need it right away, then you can build your own Apache and PHP 5.3 from source and run that as a custom app. If you want to try that, we have a script available here.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 18 Feb '11, 12:38

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

Sean -- I need PHP 5.3 for a new project (w/ multiple frameworks) that require PHP 5.3. Is that script an automated process, in that I won't have to know too many technical details, to run?

(24 Feb '11, 10:30) slackzer

You need to download and run the script manually. Instructions are in the script, in the comments at the top.

(24 Feb '11, 10:33) seanf

I am trying to compile with the no_sys_lbs variable -- but I cannot figure out how. Will I need to manually insert this into the script prior to running or can I do it from the command line?

(24 Feb '11, 10:48) slackzer

Also, after this is run, do I put my application into the install_dir?

(24 Feb '11, 10:49) slackzer

You can defined the no_sys_lbs variable by running:

export NO_SYS_LIBS=1

After the server is built, you get to choose which directory it would serve by changing the DocumentRoot setting in httpd.conf. This would be the directory holding your application (it could be any directory on your account).

(24 Feb '11, 10:58) tie

I'm also interested in when PHP 5.3 will become a stand on our server, but it's not essential so I will wait for you guys to release it :)

I just wanted to try out the new closures functions :)

Please reply to this thread when you do upgrade, so ill get an email letting me know instead of checking my phpinfo every so often ;)

(22 Mar '11, 22:13) Kus

We'll definitely let you know when it's available.

(22 Mar '11, 22:18) klynton

Any prospect of the 5.3 upgrade soon?

Thanks

(30 Mar '11, 03:32) stegzzz

Nothing more than before. We'll update this as soon as it is available.

(30 Mar '11, 03:39) klynton

Err, thanks Klynton, but what's "not available" about 5.3?

(30 Mar '11, 14:03) stegzzz

By "available" we mean "installed globally on our servers". We need to do a lot of testing on the packaging and deployment before we can make it generally available. That's in progress now, but we can't provide an ETA just yet.

(30 Mar '11, 17:29) seanf

OK, thanks for explaining

(31 Mar '11, 03:00) stegzzz

So if I wanted to use php5.3 with several applications I'd need to install it separately for each one? Is it possible to install one custom instance of it to serve multiple sites?

(13 Apr '11, 13:10) silmaril8n

You can serve multiple sites from a single Apache - just configure a separate VirtualHost block for each site. An example VirtualHost is in the httpd.conf that the script sets up for you.

(13 Apr '11, 13:14) seanf
showing 5 of 14 show 9 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262

question asked: 18 Feb '11, 12:22

question was seen: 4,298 times

last updated: 13 Apr '11, 13:14

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM