WebFaction
Community site: login faq

From the godaddy account linking page:

"Linking an existing or new account will help us migrate your products to manage as WebFaction is deprecated. Not linking any account means you will not be able to sign in to GoDaddy to manage products once WebFaction is gone."

So will the webfaction staff/management AT LEAST HAVE THE DECENCY to confirm that this means that all webfaction-specific services (custom control panel, directory/app structure $HOME/webapps/[site], etc) will be shutting down shortly?

It would be extremely disrespectful of you to leave your once loyal customers to scramble at the last minute in search for a new hosting provider.

For me (and presumably for most of webfaction remaining customers), being moved to a cpanel godaddy hosting is NOT even an option to consider; that's actually the reason of coming into webfaction in the first place: going away from hosting companies such as godaddy, which are widely hated/rejected by anyone with a decent knowledge of the hosting industry.

So please speak clearly to confirm (or deny) the assumptions on the implications of those announcements. Silence will be understood as a confirmation of webfaction death.

asked 02 Feb, 16:43

teks
accept rate: 0%

I hoped the nightmare I had years ago with another hosting company would never happen again. It was the worst thing ever happened in my professional career. And now... Please Webfaction, communicate! There are still people in the staff who might have their heart in the right place and stand up for those who put their trust in them.

(22 Feb, 22:33) webscience

I too went through 6 months of utter frustration when my hosting company was bought out, and then we had to wait for many months after that to get some less than clear communication from the Purchaser. Not sure why we don't get a clear statement from GoDaddy on what their plans are for webfaction. In one month i will begin migration if nothing is forthcoming from GD: What happens to the clean and minimal Webfaction Control Panel and Interface.

(23 Feb, 00:51) baba

"Nothing has changed except..."

...except the fact that WebFaction has already shut down new user registrations, and:

"a blog post detailing their future plans about WebFaction..."

...which says that they are in the "process of migrating your products and services to GoDaddy" and that "WebFaction will soon be migrated to GoDaddy".

Also worth mentioning the confirmation on the accounts linking page that "*WebFaction is deprecated. Not linking any account means you will not be able to sign in to GoDaddy to manage products once WebFaction is gone.*"

After long months of unclear communication from the management, an existing customer would have to be in unrealistic denial to not understand that WebFaction as we know it (custom control panel, web apps structure, etc) is already doomed, no matter if it takes them a couple months or a year to finish the migration.

It's clear that their plan is:

1. Stop accepting new WF registrations (DONE)
  2. Move all existing WF customers to GoDaddy platform (IN PROCESS)

As a web developer serving multiple customers, I can't give myself the luxury of doing the hard work of finding a new suitable web hosting whenever GoDaddy decides to announce it will be closing WF services and for how long they decide to keep it running after that.

Even in the unlikely event that they would backtrack and announce that they decided to keep WF as it is, for me the trust is already lost. That's why I got busy this past weeks migrating all my customer's websites and finally closed my WebFaction account.

I wanted to write my thoughts here as feedback to the WF team and other concerned customers.

To the original WebFaction team, Nick, Aaron, Jhon, Ilias, Mary, Sean and others I apologize I can't remember by name, thank you very much for the support provided during all this years. You are truly a legendary team with your less than 5 minutes on-point support responses. You are likely very busy at this time working on the migration but I hope you all can quit when you're done with that and start a new awesome company if you still have the enterpreneurial spirit :)

Wish you all the best.

permanent link

answered 27 Feb, 21:08

teks

thanks for the updates Teks .. Starting today i will now begin my migration... two thumbs up to this!! " hope you all can quit when you're done with that and start a new awesome company" lets know when it's available

(27 Feb, 21:20) baba

The end of the first quarter is coming up in a few days. I wonder if we're going to get that blog post that has been promised from GoDaddy? You know, the one that's taken over six months to write and is going to explain the upcoming "improvements" (translation: total destruction) of the WebFaction platform. My prediction is that it won't be released on time based on the massive incompetence shown by GoDaddy thus far, but there's a couple days left. We'll see soon...

permanent link

answered 27 Mar, 13:19

parawing742
accept rate: 12%

I would suggest that people put all of their focus on migrating away from Webfaction before it's too late. I've already done so and even my simply projects had their quirks that made migration more time consuming than I thought.

(27 Mar, 13:53) Amixxx

I migrated my own sites off between Oct 2018-Feb 2019. I still have dozens of customer sites I manage and some of them don't want to move until an official announcement.

(27 Mar, 14:32) parawing742

Another option I found. TVNet.com Website Security and Hosting Services provide faster web page loading and they offer free WordPress support. Their $3 a month hosting includes cPanel, LiteSpeed, free SSL, phone support and more. Just call them, and end your grief in a few minutes like I did.

permanent link

answered 18 Mar, 15:54

jimsworld

Remaining former WebFaction employees, thanks for all you have done to try to save a few more passengers in the sinking ship before it's totally gone under. It is nice of you to try communicating even given the huge constraints given by GoDaddy management.

For those who are migrating off WebFaction/GoDaddy now or procrastinating migrating, here's a roundup of all the many WebFaction support forum items about the buyout as well as some advice about choosing another ISP: https://community.webfaction.com/questions/22274/daddy-issues-how-to-leave-webfaction

permanent link

answered 14 Aug, 06:02

cpirazzi
accept rate: 5%

Nothing has changed except the addition of being able to optionally link a GoDaddy account to your WebFaction account.

GoDaddy management is in the process of creating a blog post detailing their future plans about WebFaction, with a series of FAQ’s, which will be shared in the first quarter of this year. Any changes will get applied after a considerable time, following the announcements.

permanent link

answered 02 Feb, 16:50

aaront ♦♦
accept rate: 27%

teks, there's the silence you were seeking. ^

If you are holding out hope that WebFaction will remain after months of uncertainty and refusal of the [previously helpful] staff to comment on the impending migration, I'd ask you to consider this:

If the answer to your original question was simply "No" why would WebFaction watch their customers flee the sinking ship instead of just answering the question like a honest company would do?

I've been through many hosting takeovers throughout the last few decades and the pattern is identical every single time...bigger company buys smaller company and tries (unsuccessfully) to merge the platforms. It fails every time.

Come back at the end of March and you might have your answer. My prediction: WebFaction is gone for good.

(03 Feb, 03:09) parawing742

I cancelled my WebFaction account last week. A rep then had the lack of self-awareness to ask why I was leaving when I'm sure my support ticket history offered ample evidence as to my reasons.

At this point, anyone who has a disdain for Godaddy and who is holding out hope that this transition will either go smoothly or that "nothing will change" probably hasn't been through this scenario before.

If it were an actual legitimate and industry-respected host absorbing WebFaction I may have stayed, held my breath, and hoped for the best. But I do not trust behemoths like Godaddy one iota.

(04 Feb, 04:06) atomiccherry

"GoDaddy management is in the process of creating a blog post detailing their future plans about WebFaction" How will we be informed about this coming blog post?

(05 Feb, 05:50) baba

Please monitor our blog here, https://blog.webfaction.com/

(05 Feb, 06:19) NickR ♦♦

WebFaction is dead. I've moved all but one of my sites away, and once I migrate the last one, I'll close my account. GoDaddy is a terrible organization, and I want nothing to do with it. Even if they preserved WebFaction as is, with great pricing and service and support, there's no way I would stay. I won't give GoDaddy a dime (more) of my money than I have to.

(09 Feb, 19:58) kjodle

And where did you migrate to? what kind of CP?

(10 Feb, 18:34) baba

@baba I'm working through a migration to DigitalOcean now and it's actually been way easier than I expected to run all my apps.

I've got some PHP apps, a Python app using uWSGI, and a Node.js app all proxied through an nginx reverse proxy (similar to the way WebFaction does it) and it didn't take that long to set up. I think I assumed it was more difficult than it really is!

(12 Feb, 01:00) SethKinast

I just cancelled the first of several accounts. Now we wait to see if WebFaction will honor my request for a balance refund.

(12 Feb, 01:34) parawing742

thanks. But DO looks a bit too complicated for me. Plus i don' see "shared Hosting" plans?

(12 Feb, 03:43) baba

thanks. But DO looks a bit too complicated for me. Plus i don' see "shared Hosting" plans?

(12 Feb, 03:44) baba

DigitalOcean only offers unmanaged VPS instances. You can used a deployment tool like Ploi, Laravel Forge, or Runcloud to manage the droplets. However, Cloudways is probably a better option for folks coming from shared hosting if they want to upgrade to managed VPS.

(12 Feb, 04:03) atomiccherry

I moved to a managed VPS at DreamHost. If you're interested in joining other refugees from WebFaction/GoDaddy, I've created a forum here: https://forum.kjodle.net/categories/godaddy-buyout-of-webfaction

(12 Feb, 23:57) kjodle

@atomiccherry thanks for setting up the forum. i am now over there

(18 Feb, 05:04) baba

I just wanted to add how very sad this makes me. I had taken the email sent out in January at face value, that Webfaction itself wouldn't change. I was mucking with setting up a new site today and saw the "join your Webfaction to your Godaddy" link and realized what it appears most of you knew after the email: Webfaction, the spunky best friend of developers like me who like to muck around with new web building tools without having to worry about patching linux every other day to keep from getting expletive-ed by hackers has cancer and even if it isn't dead today, it will be soon(TM). I hate cPanel. I really do. Anyway, I hope that the people who made Webfaction special will be able to retire early and play with puppy and kittens all day--you deserve it. salute

(04 Mar, 22:32) sneezyyzeens

@sneezyyzeens I agree. I finally shut down my WebFaction account the other day. This is terribly sad. GoDaddy is a horrible company, and cPanel sucks. WebFaction will be missed.

(06 Mar, 00:21) kjodle

Management is still writing that blog post, huh? Well, at least we got an email detailing... nothing other than the migration will be done in a few months. What a terrible way to treat your loyal customers who supported you for many years.

(12 Mar, 23:13) Amixxx

Re: I hope that the people who made Webfaction special will be able to retire early posted by sneezyyzeens. I wish that was the case too.

I asked some of the people I worked with who were there during the buyout and none of them received any sort of compensation.

Furthermore, I think that the communication they are receiving from the new owners is about the same thing we're getting on the outside: vague, no strict timelines, and never enough information to make a decision.

(24 Mar, 02:01) klynton

Re: Furthermore, I think that the communication they are receiving from the new owners is about the same thing we're getting on the outside: vague, no strict timelines, and never enough information to make a decision.

This unfortunately smacks of corporate buyout. When I could not get any adequate response from WebFaction or Godaddy, I moved my sites to a different host at the end of last year. I assumed the worst and my fears seem well justified.

(26 Mar, 06:32) atomiccherry
showing 5 of 18 show 13 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×113
×23

question asked: 02 Feb, 16:43

question was seen: 2,563 times

last updated: 14 Aug, 06:02

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM