WebFaction
Community site: login faq

From the godaddy account linking page:

"Linking an existing or new account will help us migrate your products to manage as WebFaction is deprecated. Not linking any account means you will not be able to sign in to GoDaddy to manage products once WebFaction is gone."

So will the webfaction staff/management AT LEAST HAVE THE DECENCY to confirm that this means that all webfaction-specific services (custom control panel, directory/app structure $HOME/webapps/[site], etc) will be shutting down shortly?

It would be extremely disrespectful of you to leave your once loyal customers to scramble at the last minute in search for a new hosting provider.

For me (and presumably for most of webfaction remaining customers), being moved to a cpanel godaddy hosting is NOT even an option to consider; that's actually the reason of coming into webfaction in the first place: going away from hosting companies such as godaddy, which are widely hated/rejected by anyone with a decent knowledge of the hosting industry.

So please speak clearly to confirm (or deny) the assumptions on the implications of those announcements. Silence will be understood as a confirmation of webfaction death.

asked 02 Feb, 16:43

teks
accept rate: 0%

thanks. But DO looks a bit too complicated for me. Plus i don' see "shared Hosting" plans?

permanent link

answered 12 Feb, 03:43

baba
accept rate: 0%

Nothing has changed except the addition of being able to optionally link a GoDaddy account to your WebFaction account.

GoDaddy management is in the process of creating a blog post detailing their future plans about WebFaction, with a series of FAQ’s, which will be shared in the first quarter of this year. Any changes will get applied after a considerable time, following the announcements.

permanent link

answered 02 Feb, 16:50

aaront ♦♦
accept rate: 27%

teks, there's the silence you were seeking. ^

If you are holding out hope that WebFaction will remain after months of uncertainty and refusal of the [previously helpful] staff to comment on the impending migration, I'd ask you to consider this:

If the answer to your original question was simply "No" why would WebFaction watch their customers flee the sinking ship instead of just answering the question like a honest company would do?

I've been through many hosting takeovers throughout the last few decades and the pattern is identical every single time...bigger company buys smaller company and tries (unsuccessfully) to merge the platforms. It fails every time.

Come back at the end of March and you might have your answer. My prediction: WebFaction is gone for good.

(03 Feb, 03:09) parawing742

I cancelled my WebFaction account last week. A rep then had the lack of self-awareness to ask why I was leaving when I'm sure my support ticket history offered ample evidence as to my reasons.

At this point, anyone who has a disdain for Godaddy and who is holding out hope that this transition will either go smoothly or that "nothing will change" probably hasn't been through this scenario before.

If it were an actual legitimate and industry-respected host absorbing WebFaction I may have stayed, held my breath, and hoped for the best. But I do not trust behemoths like Godaddy one iota.

(04 Feb, 04:06) atomiccherry

"GoDaddy management is in the process of creating a blog post detailing their future plans about WebFaction" How will we be informed about this coming blog post?

(05 Feb, 05:50) baba

Please monitor our blog here, https://blog.webfaction.com/

(05 Feb, 06:19) NickR ♦♦

WebFaction is dead. I've moved all but one of my sites away, and once I migrate the last one, I'll close my account. GoDaddy is a terrible organization, and I want nothing to do with it. Even if they preserved WebFaction as is, with great pricing and service and support, there's no way I would stay. I won't give GoDaddy a dime (more) of my money than I have to.

(09 Feb, 19:58) kjodle

And where did you migrate to? what kind of CP?

(10 Feb, 18:34) baba

@baba I'm working through a migration to DigitalOcean now and it's actually been way easier than I expected to run all my apps.

I've got some PHP apps, a Python app using uWSGI, and a Node.js app all proxied through an nginx reverse proxy (similar to the way WebFaction does it) and it didn't take that long to set up. I think I assumed it was more difficult than it really is!

(12 Feb, 01:00) SethKinast

I just cancelled the first of several accounts. Now we wait to see if WebFaction will honor my request for a balance refund.

(12 Feb, 01:34) parawing742

thanks. But DO looks a bit too complicated for me. Plus i don' see "shared Hosting" plans?

(12 Feb, 03:44) baba

DigitalOcean only offers unmanaged VPS instances. You can used a deployment tool like Ploi, Laravel Forge, or Runcloud to manage the droplets. However, Cloudways is probably a better option for folks coming from shared hosting if they want to upgrade to managed VPS.

(12 Feb, 04:03) atomiccherry

I moved to a managed VPS at DreamHost. If you're interested in joining other refugees from WebFaction/GoDaddy, I've created a forum here: https://forum.kjodle.net/categories/godaddy-buyout-of-webfaction

(12 Feb, 23:57) kjodle
showing 5 of 11 show 6 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×113
×17

question asked: 02 Feb, 16:43

question was seen: 338 times

last updated: 12 Feb, 23:57

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM