WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Once again, WebFaction has bungled their communication pipeline with yet another useless email update that provides nothing helpful to their existing customers:

We previously emailed to let you know that WebFaction has joined forces with GoDaddy to bring you an even stronger hosting company you'll love.

No, we hate GoDaddy. They are an awful, immoral, non-developer-friendly company.

Don't worry, nothing will change for you yet. We'll make sure that all the important details – including the overall timeline – are sent to you early enough to give you plenty of lead time to prepare for the upcoming migration.

One again, zero information about exactly when WebFaction services will be completely shut down.

We expect the migration to take place in the Summer. We'll stop selling new products in April, but don't worry – you won't lose any of your current features or services.

Does this mean that WebFaction's current features and services will remain the same AFTER the migration?

We will work towards making the change as pleasant as possible for you. At this time, you don't need to do anything. We'll keep you informed throughout the process.

Prediction: the migration to cPanel will be a disaster.

If you have any questions about this or anything else, head to https://my.webfaction.com/ and please talk to us.

I've tried asking many questions over the last six months since the GoDaddy hostile takeover was announced. Turns out NONE of the staff was willing to answer ANY questions about the upcoming migration. Why do you pretend to be willing to answer questions if you're obviously unwilling to do so?

asked 12 Mar, 16:04

parawing742
accept rate: 12%

edited 12 Mar, 16:40

Yeah, this just gets worse with every new bit of information. Buy out a great service and then destroy it. Way to GoDaddy. Well I guess that's capitalism for you. We won't be staying.

permanent link

answered 13 Mar, 09:45

gjm
accept rate: 50%

You set two questions here that we now have the info we needed to answer. We simply didn't had them a few months ago, as a decision wasn't made yet.

One again, zero information about exactly when WebFaction services will be completely shut down.

The exact date hasn't been defined yet but it is estimated to be on August 2019.

Does this mean that WebFaction's current features and services will remain the same AFTER the migration?

No, WebFaction's control panel, servers and other features and services will shut down after the migration is done. The plan is to stay up and running until then.

As the email says, we'd answer any question that we have the answers to. Since the evaluation of our services is still going, that might be limited and we will be able to get into details with a further update in a month or two.

permanent link

answered 12 Mar, 16:12

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

edited 12 Mar, 16:47

WebFaction's control panel, servers and other features and services will shut down after the migration is done.

Thank you. That's what I've been trying to get answered since September.

You can see how this clarification is important because the most recent email said "you won't lose any of your current features or services" which is obviously false.

(12 Mar, 16:24) parawing742

This sentence is in regards to the ending of new sales next week, as in no new sign ups and adding new servers/plans to your account.

If you already have a plan (your current services) you can still add/remove disk space or memory, as you used to.

Until the migrations start, your current features and services will continue working as they do right now.

(12 Mar, 17:02) iliasr ♦♦

What is the new platform that WebFaction accounts will be migrated onto?

Will the underlying file system be virtualized or otherwise setup in a manner that will allow existing web applications running on WebFaction's servers to continue running without significant changes?

(12 Mar, 17:25) parawing742

That's not something we can answer right now, as the technical evaluation is still going and those are questions that is going to answer.

It won't be one platform that everyone will be moved into. As each customer's hosting needs vary, they will be offered to move to a GoDaddy product that fits their needs as closely as possible. I don't believe that a new GoDaddy product will be created just for WebFaction customers.

As far as we know, the migrations will be optional and not forced. If the offer GoDaddy will make to a WebFaction customer before June doesn't not meet their requirements, they will be able to opt-out off it and will have enough time to move their data somewhere else.

(12 Mar, 17:38) iliasr ♦♦

What's going to happen to my clients who have a large balance left on their WebFaction accounts? Will that money be refunded since the services that were originally paid for is no longer being offered?

(12 Mar, 20:03) parawing742

"the migrations will be optional and not forced" Well, obviously. You can't force people to be your customers. What this really means is that if GoDaddy's standard hosting plans don't EXACTLY cover your needs, you're out of luck and must look for an alternative hosting ASAP. Anyone relying on shell access, Let's Encrypt, running custom PHP/Python code - THIS MEANS YOU.

(12 Mar, 23:20) Amixxx

What's going to happen to my clients who have a large balance left on their WebFaction accounts? Will that money be refunded since the services that were originally paid for is no longer being offered?

We cannot have any discussions at the present time about what the customer will get technically on GoDaddy compared to WebFaction as this is in fact one big topic of the technical evaluation, mentioned on the email. Customers with large balances will have to wait until we have more information.

Just that we have announced an upcoming migration will not give the customer a exceptional right of termination yet. Later on they might get the right to do so, by declining the offer to get migrated when it is due, and we can further discuss that then.

(13 Mar, 07:57) iliasr ♦♦
showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Well, everything ends sometimes in life isn't it. I've been a user of WF for almost 11 years (opened account on 01 Dec 2008). Through years it was a great experience, with great support which helped me numerous times. I found about this thing by chance since somehow mail ended in spam. It is good to know that we have until the June to pack our stuff and go elsewhere. I don't want CPanel, I don't want GoDaddy in my life, so if any good soul here could point me in a direction of some service that is look a like to WF I would be grateful :) (link to a forum post, site... whatever). I have paid, luckily, until the May so I have time to begin transfer.

permanent link

answered 12 Mar, 17:55

zlatiborac
accept rate: 0%

My account was opened in the spring of 2009 so I've been around nearly as long as yourself. It's sad to see a formally great host get destroyed by GoDaddy.

(12 Mar, 20:16) parawing742

Customer since 2011 and man is Webfaction's end sad. Not just because it's the end of a great service but also because how flippantly Webfaction staff have handled the migration but also us customers. Many of us were advocates of Webfaction, recommending the service whenever someone asked for hosting alternatives. To be treated like garbage with zero communication - that fucking hurts. Webfaction, you were never really open and transparent company but I wish you handled yourself with more honesty and dignity during this final period.

I wish my fellow Webfaction friends the very best. If you have any hosting suggestions, please do share. Also, there's this forum where you can continue discussing things with other Webfaction customers: https://forum.kjodle.net/

(12 Mar, 23:08) Amixxx

I can't condemn the owners of Webfaction for accepting GoDaddy's fat money. It must have been a lot of money. I'd probably do the same. Who wouldn't? The value must have been pretty high so G.D. could eliminate the best host server I've ever used. The best for developers. The best to run a lot of small projects and stagins for client's projects. And all that for $10/month.

It's clear the goal is to kill our beloved host as there is no intention to maintain the services we use in Webfaction and "I don't believe that a new GoDaddy product will be created just for WebFaction customers".

It's been almost 7 years and worth every penny. Recently I got amazed to realize they offer auto-install of free SSL certificate. Who else would do that? GoDaddy?

R.I.P. Webfaction! You'll be remembered and missed.

Thanks to all people behind the screens who worked hard all those years. You did a great job.

And as a last act of protest I'll not move to GoDaddy. Will find another place.

permanent link

answered 06 Jun, 03:15

spadilha

edited 06 Jun, 05:38

Webfaction is my best choice a few years ago, but it seems that things are changing, we have competitors that are getting better every day. I hope you will be back soon.

5 years ago, my website: 12 nu than is hosted here in webfaction, this old memory...

permanent link

answered 12 Jun, 08:20

toibadao

edited 15 Jun, 04:41

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×44
×22
×2

question asked: 12 Mar, 16:04

question was seen: 2,372 times

last updated: 15 Jun, 04:41

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM