WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I pre-loaded 2 years worth of payments last year. In light of the GoDaddy migration, I would like to ask if I can refund that amount, even partially, as I consider moving to another host. Are there any options available?

asked 13 Mar, 10:58

roytang
accept rate: 0%

How customers with balances that extend their services after WebFaction shuts down will be handled is part of the technical evaluation that is currently being discussed.

Such customers, will have to wait until we have more information in hand.

Just that we have announced an upcoming migration does not give the customer an exceptional right of termination yet.

Later on they might get the right to do so, by declining the offer to get migrated when it is presented (at some point around May), and we will be able to further discuss any possible refund then.

permanent link

answered 13 Mar, 11:37

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

Just that we have announced an upcoming migration does not give the customer an exceptional right of termination yet.

You've announced that you will be shutting down and will no longer be providing the services that were paid for. This is absolutely a situation where a refund would be in order.

Good job finding yet another way to screw over existing customers.

(13 Mar, 15:20) parawing742

As I mentioned, if, after the evaluation is done and a migration path is set, the offer made by GoDaddy is declined, then we will be able to discuss any possible refunds of their balance.

For some users that offer might be enough for them to stick around and for others, understandably, it might not. For the latter, a refund would indeed be in order.

(13 Mar, 15:28) iliasr ♦♦

I declined the migration and was still told no refunds would be allowed. Believe it or not, there are many of us that have no interest in moving to GoDaddy regardless of the "offer." Your policy is dishonest and scammy given the circumstances.

(13 Mar, 15:36) parawing742

Of course most aren't going to stay with GoDaddy: their reputation is horrible and their platform doesn't support Webfaction functionality.

Very dishonest practice to not honor refunds. That's pretty much stealing in my book. Is that how you want to be remembered?

(14 Mar, 00:58) Amixxx

Very dishonest practice to not honor refunds

In my response I didn't say that refunds will not be honored. What I said is that we will be able to talk refunds after the evaluation is complete, and that customers with large balances will have to wait until that is done.

I declined the migration and was still told no refunds would be allowed.

GoDaddy hasn't yet made any migration offers to get them declined.

If we are to talk about your case in particular, if I remember correctly, you decided to close your account on the rumor, allegedly told to you by someone inside GoDaddy, that we will force everyone to a cpanel plan by the end of December/early January. This wasn't the case and speculations do not justify an exception to our terms of service.

Further more, any remaining balance didn't go into our pocket, but it was transferred to another WebFaction account that you nominated. A credit that it is still used to pay for that account's services (that are at the time of this writing exactly the same as they used to be).

(14 Mar, 11:08) iliasr ♦♦

GoDaddy hasn't yet made any migration offers to get them declined.

Wrong. I declined being moved to GoDaddy hosting under any situation and was still refused a refund.

If we are to talk about your case in particular, if I remember correctly, you decided to close your account on the rumor, allegedly told to you by someone inside GoDaddy, that we will force everyone to a cpanel plan by the end of December/early January. This wasn't the case and speculations do not justify an exception to our terms of service.

You are ultimately forcing everyone to move an inferior hosting plan at GoDaddy. That's not a rumor. Refusing to refund your customers who don't want to move to a vastly inferior service is tantamount to stealing. It's a dishonest decision and a final slap in the face to your customers (who are leaving in droves if you haven't noticed).

I hope GoDaddy paid you a bunch extra to stick up for them in increasingly ridiculous ways.

(27 Mar, 13:28) parawing742
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×7
×1

question asked: 13 Mar, 10:58

question was seen: 559 times

last updated: 27 Mar, 13:33

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM