WebFaction
Community site: login faq

In the case that GoDaddy does not end up providing the same exact tools we are accustomed to from WebFaction, might you recommend an alternative to WebFaction?

My priorities are: • SSH (root) • Python version 3.6+ • Django version 2.1+ • Static file hosting • Git • PostGres Database • HTTPS (Let's Encrypt) • Similar pricing (~$10/month)

asked 11 Apr, 14:41

jakenorth
accept rate: 0%

edited 01 May, 14:55

Personally I would recommend https://apnscp.com, or if you want managed they have a hosted version https://hostineer.com. I'm an ex webfaction customer from years ago, but I do have clients on here now that I need to migrate and have been getting the migration emails also. Can't speak to it meeting all your needs exactly, I am a user of apnscp for php / static sites and really, really like it. They don't do affiliate links so nothing in it for me, just think it deserves more exposure as it is a genuinely unique offering (highly tuned, multi-version multi-language, very secure, root access, agentless, mail, monitoring and recovery, account isolation... list goes on).

permanent link

answered 22 Apr, 03:56

mmi

Thanks, mmi. I will be checking them out.

(22 Apr, 13:55) jakenorth

This is very impressive. I've been a hosting seller/customer in one way or another since the late 90s and it's rare I see something new. I'm optimistic for what Opalstack can create, but this hits all the things I'd be looking for in a WebFaction replacement.

(22 Apr, 14:10) parawing742

How about Opalstack?

It's a managed service like WF, so you won't get root (ie, superuser access to the whole server), but it'll meet all of your other requirements :)

permanent link

answered 11 Apr, 16:21

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 13 Apr, 14:19

Even on shared one gets ssh access to the" root " of our account. That is what we currently have with WF

(13 Apr, 03:31) baba

You'll definitely have SSH access to your own home directories on Opalstack.

(13 Apr, 13:23) seanf

WF themselves recommended Linode (to meet all of my requirements). Linode is a lot of setup. I just want to get started developing Django. But at Linode, I'm lost trying to setup my cloud server...

@seanf I signed up for Opalstack. I'm desperate as hell to find managed Django hosting close to my price range. Please get me in on their April 15th pre-release. Thank you for your reply, regardless.

permanent link

answered 15 Apr, 21:21

jakenorth

Yeah, Linode is nice and affordable for small projects, but not really comparable to a managed shared host like WF or Opalstack :)

(15 Apr, 21:24) seanf

For German speaking users, I can warmly recommend Uberspace. I had lots of websites and tools running on Webfaction, and I could all migrate them over very easily. Just like on Webfaction, you get full SSH access and can install your own software in your home folder. The pricing is "pay what you want", with a recommended price of 10 EUR / month (but you can go down to just 1 EUR if you're really on a budget).

As I said, though, it's currently tailored towards German-speaking European users. E.g. payment works via transferring money to their bank account, and most of the documentation is (currently) in German.

permanent link

answered 24 Apr, 11:24

PrimaryFeather

adios - i is moving on

(20 May, 05:04) baba

Just now pulled the plug on webfaction.... with my last gasping breath i bid you all adieu ....

(26 May, 22:03) baba

Thanks for all the fish!

All my accounts (except for one) have been quietly closed down over the last six months. I'm going to leave the last one open until it runs out of money just so I can observe how many more ways WebFaction/GoDaddy can find to screw over their dwindling customer base.

(27 May, 15:28) parawing742
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×908
×21
×9

question asked: 11 Apr, 14:41

question was seen: 1,015 times

last updated: 27 May, 15:28

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM