WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I submitted a ticket for this issue earlier, but considering how WF is currently undergoing a migration I'm not sure if the ticketing system is still reliable. So I'll as a summarized version of my problem here.

So, my problem is this. I am a new Developer that has taken over an existing Django project which hasn't been updated since 2017. The supervisor wants some new features added to the website, which in terms of the overall project code was relatively a minor thing to change and add, so I pushed the changes to the main code housed on Bitbucket, and using PuTTy I fetched the most recent changes onto the server repo. And to have the new changes properly reflected onto the live server I restarted the server using the Apache command.

.... But apparently, both the Bitbucket and main server repo code held a "new" version of the website that didn't exist on the server's live status before 2019, and so when Apache restarted, some of the site's formats and features have completly changed. The problem is too, for some reason the old developer forgot to leave that exact old version of project repo lying around on the Server directory (which had tons of supposed "backups" mind you), and so now I'm stuck with trying to revert the code to what the old server used to be. Reverting the front-end is easy, but one of the navigation page features held a lot of functional code I can't seem to track down on.

Well, that's my current situation, but my question is this. I'm still relatively new to servers, so I was wondering in general if it was possible for the server to be re-rolled to what it used to be before any restarts was made in year 2019.

Edit: After searching through our own repo hosted at Bitbucket, it appears that it was both the Git and server backup versions that were outdated. And oddly enough Bitbucket and main server repo contains different versions in it of itself. My server experience is limited to Heroku on NodeJs so next time I'll have to be careful about this next time... but my question still stands.

asked 01 May, 15:54

Wyntile
accept rate: 0%

edited 01 May, 19:11

WebFaction makes backups of your account. You can open a ticket and they can restore the files you need to your account. https://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/access.html?highlight=backup#backups

permanent link

answered 02 May, 12:23

timg ♦♦
1.3k4
accept rate: 30%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×225

question asked: 01 May, 15:54

question was seen: 288 times

last updated: 04 May, 11:26

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM