WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi:

Things seem to have been oddly silent about this transition that is taking place soon*. Last official communication I got was back in March.

Just wondering if there is any updated information to this transition. Trying to figure out how much urgency there is to move since I have reports synced to WebFactions FTPs that will presumably change if my account is moved over to GoDaddy (if I don't jump ship before -- still looking :) ).

Thanks for any new information.

asked 13 Jun, 22:00

gsmAndrew
accept rate: 0%

GoDaddy management is currently evaluating our platform, gathering information and testing it. Apologies for the lack of updates but, as the migration plan is still being discussed and nothing is finalized yet, there's nothing new to say.

As far as we've been told, they are in the final stages of it, so an announcement will be out as soon as that's done, although an ETA wasn't given to us.

They have promised at least a month of advance notice (but I believe it will be more than that) before any changes affect our customers.

My personal opinion is that since a migration plan hasn't been fixed by now, as the original plan was, the migrations, or any other change, will probably be postponed for after the summer, since there's not enough time to do them now.

permanent link

answered 14 Jun, 16:13

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

edited 14 Jun, 16:21

WebFaction has said they will provide updates in the "new year" (2019). Didn't happen. Then they said "first quarter" (2019). Didn't happen. The last we've heard is things will get moved in August, but I wouldn't hold my breath considering their absolutely abysmal communication strategy.

I've been through a few host takeovers over the years and the pattern is the same every single time. Lack of communication and then a sudden shutdown/forced migration. I predict you will get little to no notice before your website is shut down and/or migrated to evil GoDaddy.

permanent link

answered 14 Jun, 14:20

parawing742
accept rate: 12%

iliasr and remaining former WebFaction employees, thanks for all you have done to try to save a few more passengers in the sinking ship before it's totally gone under. It is nice of you to try communicating even given the huge constraints given by GoDaddy management.

For those who are migrating off WebFaction/GoDaddy now or procrastinating migrating, here's a roundup of all the many WebFaction support forum items about the buyout as well as some advice about choosing another ISP: https://community.webfaction.com/questions/22274/daddy-issues-how-to-leave-webfaction

permanent link

answered 14 Aug, 05:59

cpirazzi
accept rate: 5%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×23

question asked: 13 Jun, 22:00

question was seen: 617 times

last updated: 14 Aug, 05:59

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM