WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I assume others got this. Is there anything new in here? Maybe I just don't see it. If their goal was to put my mind at rest, it didn't work.

Dear WebFaction customer,

We just wanted to get in touch with an update and some reassurances about your WebFaction services, following the recent announcement that the brand was joining forces with GoDaddy.

We're sorry we've not communicated with you as much as we would have liked to up until now.

First and foremost, we want to assure you that we will continue to provide you with the level of service that you've always relied on, and that we'll give you plenty of notice of any future changes to ensure your business can carry on as usual. For example, one thing we are currently considering is re-evaluating the migrations that were planned for this summer. We'll let you know as soon as we can the outcome of that evaluation.

Secondly, we wanted to let you know that, as you read this, we're researching options for the future of WebFaction. We're looking into products, feature sets and support set ups to ensure you have everything you need to thrive online going forward.

We really value you as a customer and we look forward to supporting your success in the future.

If you have any more questions, feel free to raise a support ticket in the control panel at https://my.webfaction.com/open-support-ticket or reply to this email and our support team will be happy to help.

asked 08 Jul, 15:01

bsmith
accept rate: 0%

The only thing clear from this email is that things haven't gone according to plan. Although it does sound a bit like they are looking at continuing Webfaction in some form.

Probably, as Parawing says, the technical issues are too complicated. The customer backlash surely didn't help either.

All the same, I'm just waiting for OpalStack to get email sorted and then I'll be out of here.

permanent link

answered 09 Jul, 20:05

Donatzsky

Donatzsky - I'm with you.

I've been using OpalStack for a few weeks now. Slowly migrating things over. Solid initial offering with more coming online all the time. Support has been amazing. It sounds like email is right around the corner.

(09 Jul, 21:36) deskfull

Yeah, not only do they not provide any clear new info, but they confusingly half-walked back the last round of info. Like, "Hey, we might not destroy Webfaction after all, or we might, .. who can say? We'll let you know. K, thanks. You're the best."

Even the subject line is poorly worded- completely generic and vague so I almost deleted without even opening (at a glance, I assumed it was some notice about an SSL cert renewal or something).

On the off chance that the PR folks read this, here's a freebie for how to write an informative email subject line: "A brief status update on the planned changes for Webfaction."

permanent link

answered 09 Jul, 09:52

peteleidy

My mind would have been more at rest having NOT received this email. Nearly a year after the original announcement, here we are with absolutely no information and this email was just a reminder that the future of WebFaction is uncertain.

My own personal speculation is that Godaddy had no idea that WebFaction sites could not be easily migrated to a cPanel server. There are major technical barriers to migrating smoothly between such different service offerings. Maybe they want all of us to leave on our own accord until the WebFaction customer base dwindles down to the point that manual migrations will be realistically achievable?

permanent link

answered 09 Jul, 13:49

parawing742
accept rate: 12%

Honestly, I think Godaddy would benefit by keeping Webfaction around in some form to pick up resellers and bulk/white label hosters who are shopping around now that cPanel just changed their pricing structure (and is owned by the same people as Plesk).

Developers love the Webfaction control panel, and it could probably be fleshed out a little further and packaged as pro/developer hosting. Then again everyone in that market/community already hates Godaddy, so it might not make a lot of business sense.

permanent link

answered 09 Jul, 22:10

peteleidy

The WebFaction control panel is first-rate. I like it far more than cPanel.

(09 Jul, 22:34) parawing742

Mind definitely not rested.

For those who are migrating off WebFaction/GoDaddy now or procrastinating migrating, here's a roundup of all the many WebFaction support forum items about the buyout as well as some advice about choosing another ISP: https://community.webfaction.com/questions/22274/daddy-issues-how-to-leave-webfaction

permanent link

answered 14 Aug, 06:06

cpirazzi
accept rate: 5%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×44
×23

question asked: 08 Jul, 15:01

question was seen: 602 times

last updated: 14 Aug, 06:06

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM