WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am a developer but know very little about sysadmin. I want to know how splitting up my single application into multiple applications affects my WebFaction resources, etc.

I currently have a single Flask app that has three distinct parts: public user search/view; admin add/update/delete data; api for a future Flutter app.

The three parts have little in common other than the database model/connection. The public section is for searching and viewing data, the app has to lookup data and render templates. The admin section is simply about modifying the data. The api looks up data but renders it back as json instead of templates. Dealing with roles and access (public vs admin users) has become kind of messy.

Ideally, I would have these as three separate apps. The code would be cleaner and easier to maintain.

But what does it mean for my WebFaction account? To have three separate mod_wsgi applications over one?

Thanks!

asked 29 Dec '19, 04:23

williamkelley
accept rate: 0%

You can definitely run mutliple mod_wsgi/flask applications on a single account.

Running three different mod_wsgi stacks will definitely raise your overall memory usage, although there are many customers running multiple apps and still be within the 1 GB quota, especially if you tune each stack's processes and threads. Your admin panel probably doesn't need as many as your public section, as it is common only for a few users to have access to it.

Other options include to run one mod_wsgi that will handle multiple flask apps under the same httpd.conf, or use something lightweight like uwsgi, with either 3 uwsgi processes (one for each flask app) or in emperor mode where one uwsgi main process will handle all 3 apps.

permanent link

answered 29 Dec '19, 13:23

iliasr ♦♦
2.1k14
accept rate: 35%

Thank you for pointers to some solutions. I firmly believe breaking my app up into three separate parts is the way to go. Now I have a number of good ideas to check out!

(30 Dec '19, 03:56) williamkelley
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×58
×56
×45

question asked: 29 Dec '19, 04:23

question was seen: 219 times

last updated: 30 Dec '19, 03:56

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM