WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi,

Has anyone successfully installed OpenVidu on a WebFaction shared server account?

In these troubled COVID-19 times where video conferencing is being encouraged, might this be a useful app to add to the applications available for "one-click" install on WebFaction?

I note that they have done this on AWS already.

I'm hoping to install this so I don't have to go to my elderly Father's house to install Skype or whatever on his computer so our Family can keep in touch with him. OpenVidu looks like a viable, OpenSource alternative that doesn't need to be installed on Clients.

Cheers,

Rob Hills Waikiki, Western Australia

asked 04 Apr, 02:55

Rob Hills
accept rate: 0%

From a quick look at both OpenVidu's and its dependancy Kurento Media Server documentations, it appears they only work on either an Ubuntu based server or through Docker, which makes it incompatible with our services. They probably need root access too.

Even if the above requirements were met, being a Java application that processes and transmits video, it needs at a minimum 8GB of RAM, which is only possible on our higher tier plans, starting from $60 per month.

permanent link

answered 04 Apr, 13:24

iliasr ♦♦
2.2k14
accept rate: 34%

edited 04 Apr, 13:25

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×11
×1

question asked: 04 Apr, 02:55

question was seen: 154 times

last updated: 04 Apr, 13:25

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM