WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Good morning

I know that there are quite a few similar threads, and think I have followed them all, but getting an error on gems when I try to run a gem update (as part of installing openproject: gem2.6 update --system Updating rubygems-update Successfully installed rubygems-update-3.1.4 Parsing documentation for rubygems-update-3.1.4 Done installing documentation for rubygems-update after 0 seconds Parsing documentation for rubygems-update-3.1.4 Done installing documentation for rubygems-update after 0 seconds Installing RubyGems 3.1.4 ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES) Permission denied @ dir_s_mkdir - /usr/local/lib/ruby26/ruby/site_ruby/2.6.0/rubygems*

So my understanding is that you need to set up a "overlay" to ensure to install locally, so have the following script to set that up for me: export GEM_HOME=~/gems_overlay export RUBYLIB=$GEM_HOME/lib export PATH=$GEM_HOME/bin:$PATH alias ruby=ruby2.6 alias gem=gem2.6

asked 13 Jun, 06:23

bengt
accept rate: 0%

edited 13 Jun, 06:27

Found part of the issue, helpful doc regarding specifically how to update gems https://docs.webfaction.com/software/rails.html

But it does not seem to work on mine

rubygems-3.1.4]$ ruby setup.rb install --prefix=$HOME/webapps/navigationchannel_op ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES) Permission denied @ apply2files - /usr/local/lib/ruby26/ruby/gems/2.6.0/specifications/default/bundler-1.17.2.gemspec [tentogive@wf-185-119-175-71 rubygems-3.1.4]$ . ../../gemssetting [tentogive@wf-185-119-175-71 rubygems-3.1.4]$ ruby setup.rb install --prefix=$HOME/webapps/navigationchannel_op ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EACCES) Permission denied @ apply2files - /usr/local/lib/ruby26/ruby/gems/2.6.0/specifications/default/bundler-1.17.2.gemspec

permanent link

answered 13 Jun, 07:16

bengt
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×103
×82
×4
×1

question asked: 13 Jun, 06:23

question was seen: 70 times

last updated: 13 Jun, 07:16

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM