WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have PHP code on my site for handling comments. It's been nearly untouched for years, and is now running on PHP 5.2.17. About a month ago, it stopped sending me email notifications of new comments. I'm not sure how to begin diagnosing the problem.

I've looked for log files, but don't see anything relevant. Where or how should I start?

asked 04 Oct, 13:00

Ned Batchelder
accept rate: 50%

I would suggest making sure that your account can still send via sendmail outside of your application. Provided that does work you might need to add some debug code to your application to see where it is failing.

That said php 5.2 went end of life 2011-01-06. Time to update your code to use at least php 5.6, however the latest version of course is php 7.4

permanent link

answered 04 Oct, 13:28

aaront ♦♦
accept rate: 27%

Thanks, but I might need more detail than that. How can I "test sendmail outside of my application". And I thought webfaction had upgraded me to 5.6 already, I have to look into that.

(04 Oct, 14:42) Ned Batchelder

The easiest way to test sendmail via your account is creating a php script as documented .

(04 Oct, 14:47) aaront ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×265

question asked: 04 Oct, 13:00

question was seen: 71 times

last updated: 04 Oct, 14:47

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM