WebFaction
Community site: login faq

It seems it is difficult to find a host that is reliable and trustworthy this days, and cheap $6.5 month.

That offer unlimited mails to different domains, and ability to make custom apps with SSH setup done by hand with SSH access and configured to the given port.

So where you people have run?

• dreamhost looks good the first 3 years are really cheap... but some plans you pay 1.3 or 1.5 per mailbox... so you need to be carefull what you choose.
  • heroku is nice but maybe to pricey compared to webfaction? (or maybe I havent seen the correct plan??)

So... have you found a real alternative?

Also, how have you migrated your mailboxes and mails?

asked 11 Nov, 01:35

tyoc213
accept rate: 0%

edited 11 Nov, 01:36

I've moved to Opalstack - the Webfaction guys suggested it in their email. It's very similar to Webfaction and very familiar. It has all the same features and a few more, although it's slightly more expensive (~25% if you pay annually - $12.5/month vs. $10/month).

They have a tool for automatically migrating (most) apps over to their system. They're also going to have a migration tool to automatically migrate mailboxes/mails over soon too. I can't wait for that.

permanent link

answered 11 Nov, 14:08

pjrobertson

edited 11 Nov, 14:09

I used the imapsync (migmail.py) tool mentioned here: https://community.opalstack.com/d/124-migration-tool-for-webfaction-mailboxes/13

Worked perfectly. It'll probably get confused if you have a comma in the password, mind.

(17 Nov, 17:41) Donatzsky

The support at Opalstack has been great. Happy to pay a bit more for it.

permanent link

answered 16 Nov, 02:21

leehinde

Why are there no links to tsoHost on Webfaction's front page at www.webfaction.com ?

There are some mentions but only as plain text, nowhere does the word 'tsoHost' appear in actual clickable blue.

I am migrating to Opalstack. Easy, familiar, nice.

You might have to change some of your database passwords because the system at Opalstack requires including a digit and a punctuation character.

Don't forget to edit your .htaccess files if they specify an absolute path for the .htpasswd file.

No other particular gotchas to mention, everything is just moving across with no real change. To move wordpress sites I simply bung in some global edits to the .sql file and wp-config.php but there are probably more refined ways of doing it.

permanent link

answered 17 Nov, 09:36

atherton

And why not "just do nothing" and be automaticaaly migrated to Tsohost? Their pricing plan seems okay? www.tsohost.com - seems the less complicated to me.

permanent link

answered 21 Nov, 12:37

dewebmeester

Some WebFaction features are not available in tsohost. That could be a deal breaker to some customers.

https://www.webfaction.com/faq#which-features-will-not-be-available-through-tsohost-when-i-am-migrated-from-webfaction

(21 Nov, 13:37) iliasr ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×45
×11
×1

question asked: 11 Nov, 01:35

question was seen: 185 times

last updated: 21 Nov, 13:37

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM