WebFaction
Community site: login faq

So far I've built all of my client sites using Wordpress. Mostly cause it's easy and the user community is huge. I can type most questions into the google machine and the first couple entires are all blogs with a post that is either the answer to my question or close enough that I can then figure it out. But, as of late I've been bumping into the limitations of Wordpress more and more. And I find that many parts of it are over developed and I feel they are trying to shield theme developers of having to know much about the architecture.

In short, I've got a new project from a new client and I'd like to try something new. I'm willing to try any of the packages that WebFaction supports and may be willing to install something using a custom script (Pyramid anyone?). The site I'll be building is going to be an information resource and blog about a specific topic. If we get enough traffic from the content then the client would like to build a store out the site and sell products related to the topic. He has a number of topics and domains he'd like to try out so I see this code base being reused as well. I don't think I'd like to host ecommerce part of the site, but rather use shopify or yahoo stores, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

I know this may sound like a "do my research!" question. I'm already leading towards Django or Pyramid, but if there are some fans of Drupal or Joomla who see those as better solutions I'm all ears. I'm really only interested in learning a new tool and having some fun with it.

Your thoughts?

asked 23 Feb '11, 01:05

SwitchBlade
accept rate: 0%

edited 23 Feb '11, 01:16

Hi,

I'm a Python guy so Django would be the direction I would point you to. Pyramid is kind of new, the technology they are using has been around for a while but the conglomerate is new. In my experience, updating Drupal and Joomla to keep them secure is a necessary and needs to happen very frequently.

(23 Feb '11, 01:25) klynton

I got about halfway through the Pylons Book and was really enjoying working with Python and the Pylons framework. I'd like to become more familiar with it. But I'm thinking that Django may be the route to go for a content based site though.

(23 Feb '11, 01:37) SwitchBlade

I second the Django recommendation. I'm not a particularly advanced developer, but my work in Django has completely changed my perspective of what is possible, while creating a level of ease and enjoyment I hadn't known with PHP (surprise...)

The development server and stock admin interface is particularly effective. The documentation is amazing, and the IRC community is very active and helpful

For blog type stuff, maybe have a poke around http://blog.montylounge.com/2010/02/10/eleven-django-blog-engines-you-should-know/ It's a bit old but most of the projects are still maintained. When I was first checking out Django I rooted around the project directories for hours checking out the different methods

permanent link

answered 23 Feb '11, 15:10

shipwreck
accept rate: 50%

edited 23 Feb '11, 15:11

Thanks Ship, I think I'm leaning in the Python direction. I enjoy the syntax and it seems rather straightforward. Unless someone points out a solution using Ruby or Scheme or Fortran I'm going to go with Python. Seems like Python is rather popular around here as well. Why go against the flow ;-)

(23 Feb '11, 15:18) SwitchBlade

Just installed a Django app for another client and so fart it's going great. Things that would have taken me a day to do in Wordpress have only taken a couple hours at most.

I like the level of control offered by Pylons/Pyramid, but I think that for basic CMS type sites I'm going to roll with Django for the next while.

(04 Mar '11, 18:23) SwitchBlade

I just came across an interesting article on alistapart on rapid prototyping with sinatra: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/rapid-prototyping-with-sinatra/

Seems like a good option if your comfortable with Ruby and want to get a feel for how big of a commitment your topic / product relations / ecommerce app might be

(10 Mar '11, 09:52) shipwreck
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×244
×2

question asked: 23 Feb '11, 01:05

question was seen: 3,983 times

last updated: 10 Mar '11, 09:52

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM