WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I wanted to run something like this on my webfaction server(maybe not exactly this, but this is just fine) --> http://antony.lesuisse.org/software/ajaxterm/ Basically I need a shell access through web. I want to know about how to set it up with apache. (I have it downloaded and all)

PS: I spend lots of my time at my work place where we don't have any access to outside shell accounts and I need to do certain changes anyway.

asked 23 Feb '11, 06:32

thedoors
accept rate: 0%

You should have no problems running this shell. It runs as a separate service on a custom port number. You should basicaly do the following:

1. Create a "Custom app listening on port" in your Control Panel. Make a note of the custom port number assigned to your app
  2. Create an (HTTPS) website record and mount the newly created application there
  3. Log to your account over SSH and get inside the folder of the custom app. There you can run:

wget http://antony.lesuisse.org/software/ajaxterm/files/Ajaxterm-0.10.tar.gz

tar -xzvf Ajaxterm-0.10.tar.gz

cd Ajaxterm-0.10

/ajaxterm.py --port=your custom port number here

(make sure to replace your custom port number here with the port numberthat got assigned to your app)

After this is done, you should be able to access the shell at the URL specified in the website record.

permanent link

answered 23 Feb '11, 07:06

tie
1.4k13
accept rate: 44%

edited 23 Feb '11, 07:07

This just works! thanks.

(23 Feb '11, 14:24) thedoors

it works when execute "/ajaxterm.py --port=your custom port number here " but ,when I logout ssh , this process doesn't exist any more . I can't use ajaxterm on the browser . even I tried on " /ajaxterm.py --port=XXXXX & "

How to run it even I logout my ssh session ?

(09 Oct '11, 00:07) MOY

MOY: simply run the process within a screen session. Screen will allow you to start processes, detach from the screen session, and then re-attach later from any location. They will also continue running in the meantime even when no clients are attached.

(09 Oct '11, 00:24) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×225
×103
×33
×1
×1

question asked: 23 Feb '11, 06:32

question was seen: 6,872 times

last updated: 09 Oct '11, 00:26

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM