WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi all,

I have multiple webfaction accounts and in all cases I am developing applications together with other users. What is the best practice for sharing an application, and all its relevant logs, etc with others?

Right now I've simply created one SSH account for each user, then a common account for the project and we'll use this user as group on all files we share.

I'm not sure this is the ideal approach as logs are by default readably only by root, and I don't yet know how this will work with permissions for running the server etc.

So, how do you collaborate with others on your webfaction accounts?

asked 29 Oct '10, 04:38

hakanw
accept rate: 0%

The best way to collaborate is to use an SCM; notable options include subversion, git, and mercurial (I recommend git, personally).

Using an SCM, each member can check out and collaborate on the project. You can then use a post-commit hook to update the application code from your repository on the server.

This solution also obviates the need for multiple SSH accounts since the SCM will handle recording which members made which changes, and allows for easy reversion to previous application states.

However, this method will not include log files, as they are not "collaborated on" in the same way (and there is rarely, if ever, a need to modify existing log files and/or keep a revision history for them). Rather, for logs, it would make sense to periodically zip the logs into a file and either include it in the application working copy or (more likely) provide it for authenticated download.

permanent link

answered 29 Oct '10, 05:20

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93260
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×37
×17

question asked: 29 Oct '10, 04:38

question was seen: 4,483 times

last updated: 29 Oct '10, 05:20

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM