WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am trying to setup fossil scm using their online cookbook : http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/wiki?name=Cookbook#CGI

But no matter what I try, the CGI script logs the following error : "Premature end of script headers: index.cgi"

What I have tried up to now.

• My index.cgi file begins with the correct path to my fossil executable : "#!/home/myname/bin/fossil"
  • I already chmod the fossil file at 755.
  • I tried both the x86 and x64 stable builds from the website.
  • I created a repository using the executable without any problem (meaning it is not corrupted or anything).
  • I chmod the repository directory to 777 and the test repository file to 666.

I have been trying stuff for a few hours now and I am quite out of ideas... I'm not very good with Linux (or web for that matter), being a Windows application developer, so I don't really know where to look.

Anyone could point me the way and help me out?

Thanks! :)

asked 03 Mar '11, 22:30

Kevin Coulombe
accept rate: 0%

I don't really need THE solution, but I could definitely use some ideas about what to try next!

(03 Mar '11, 22:43) Kevin Coulombe

Hi, Did you take a look at: http://community.webfaction.com/questions/505/how-to-setup-fossil

(03 Mar '11, 23:20) neeravk

If I understood correctly, the fossil executable works as a script interpreter, just like the python or ruby interpreters. So we need to build a CGI script that refers to this interpreter and contains the operations (configuration). But somehow, my interpreter reference is invalid...

Or maybe I'm getting all of this wrong! Thanks, I'll try to use it like in this link and come back here for a follow up.

(03 Mar '11, 23:37) Kevin Coulombe

I have no way of configuring the executable with a port number... It really seems to be made to interpret scripts. Is there anything to be done to register this fossil script interpreter with Apache?

(04 Mar '11, 18:04) Kevin Coulombe

Hi,

For CGI scripts to run correctly, most of the time, they need to have 711 permissions. So a quick

chmod 711 index.cgi

can fix the problem.

permanent link

answered 04 Mar '11, 18:57

klynton
1.6k1210
accept rate: 41%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×33
×31
×3
×1

question asked: 03 Mar '11, 22:30

question was seen: 5,066 times

last updated: 04 Mar '11, 19:02

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM