WebFaction
Community site: login faq

This question was solved by the WebFaction Support folks in a ticket that I wrote. I am documenting this here so that if others encounter this problem they have access to the solution.

I cross-posted this problem to WebFaction Tickets and the web2py-users google group thread: "web2py still unable to create application on WebFaction". Here is what i said.

Dear Webfacton Support and "web2py-users" Google Group,

ref: "web2py-users" Google Group thread ""Unable to create application" on WebFaction" the link is in the text below.

I just made a flurry of webfaction tickets about memory usage and upgrading my account. Actually doing an upgrade.

This was because i had just used the web2py Custom Installation Script from the WebFaction Control Panel to install a new web2py instance. When i went to add a new app to the new web2py, up came a message saying "unable to create application "home" (it may exist already)". I tried every name in the book but to no avail. I googled the problem, and one entry showed there could be a memory issue. That is the cause of the flurry of tickets. Now i have found out that the memory issue is NOT the problem. I have plenty of memory, having upgraded, but i still get the bad behaviour.

I have done more research on the problem in the "web2py-users" Google Group. There is a recent [Dec 15, 2010] thread on this subject which seems to imply that running the web2py Custom Installation Script from the Control Panel causes a critical directory [deposit] to be left off the installation. Here is the link to that thread: http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_thread/thread/98d3d1d2de...

I have looked at both of my web2py installations and they both have a "deposit" directory, but i still cannot create an app in my w2p_mobyjoe installation.

I can easily create a new app on the old instance. Here is the output: "new application "justforkicks" created".

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am cross posting this on both the "web2py-users" Google Group and WebFaction Ticket System. All of the folks in both of these groups are very supportive.

Thanks in advance.

Love and peace,

Joe

asked 05 Mar '11, 13:59

jdor
accept rate: 20%

OK so I am going to answer my own question. However, as I said, it really was the WebFaction Support folks who originally made the suggestion. Here is the essence of my most recent post to the web2py-users google group thread: "web2py still unable to create application on WebFaction".

On Mar 1, 3:54 pm, Christopher Steel wrote:

If you really want to do this you shodl be able to but first you need to ssh in and manually start Web2py from webapps/yourapp/web2py with something like the following:

python2.5 web2py.py -p 80

Then shut it down and try again from the web interface

Let me know how it goes...

Dear Christopher and All,

Something like you, Christopher, suggested was also suggested by the Webfaction Support folks. This suggestion worked for me, after I had investigated some other possibilities.

You can read my blog post on this subject, "Fixing my "my web2py is unable to create a new application on WebFaction" problem", which references THIS web2py-users thread for "a full discussion of the problem".

Thanks for the help.

Love and peace,

Joe

permanent link

answered 05 Mar '11, 14:14

jdor
accept rate: 20%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×24

question asked: 05 Mar '11, 13:59

question was seen: 3,091 times

last updated: 05 Mar '11, 14:14

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM