WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm trying to set up DKIM with google apps, and I need to set a TXT record in order for it to work.

The instructions give a TXT name and a TXT value to put in the record, but I see no mention of a TXT name anywhere.. just the "TXT Record".

Where would I put the "google._domainkey" TXT name?

asked 07 Mar '11, 04:59

Acorn
accept rate: 0%

edited 07 Mar '11, 05:27

TXT records are implemented a little differently, so a bit of extra work is needed. What you'll need to do is:

1. Add '_domainkey' and 'google._domainkey' subdomains to the domain you're setting up DKIM with
  2. Add a new TXT record for these new domains. The value should be TXT value given by Google Apps.

I'll also open an internal ticket to have this added to our documentation.

permanent link

answered 07 Mar '11, 05:11

David L ♦♦
1.4k13
accept rate: 45%

edited 07 Mar '11, 05:18

Thanks for the quick answer! Are you saying I need to set up 2 sub-domains? or just google._domainkey? (I assume you meant to write "google._domainkey" rather than "google._domain")

(07 Mar '11, 05:15) Acorn

D'oh! Damn typos! I've updated my post.

I've always set up both domains, but I believe it should work by just setting up a single "google._domainkey" subdomain.

(07 Mar '11, 05:18) David L ♦♦

By the way, it's working fine with just a "google._domainkey" subdomain!

(07 Mar '11, 05:28) Acorn

I just tried to add google._domainkey.mail.mydomain.com as a subdomain and got an error.

(01 Jun '11, 13:37) kevinburke

@David L - I'm also trying to do this but it won't accept the name _domainkey. I get the following error "Domain names may only contain English letters, digits, dots and hyphens" - is this a recent restriction?

(01 Jul '11, 17:51) JasonC

Are you adding a new domain name or editing an existing one and adding a sub-domain? You should be editing and adding a sub-domain object.

(01 Jul '11, 18:13) johns
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×105
×10
×8
×4
×2

question asked: 07 Mar '11, 04:59

question was seen: 10,695 times

last updated: 01 Jul '11, 18:13

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM