WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm having trouble migrating to a new server.

First of all I was running rsync -PaAXz ~/ username@server.webfaction.com: but omitting the : at the end.

Now that I'm including the :, all the data seems to be going into a folder named username@server.webfaction.com within the home folder of the account on the other server. What's going on?

asked 07 Mar '11, 12:40

Acorn
accept rate: 0%

When you ran the command without the ":", the directory "username@server.webfaction.com" was created on the server on which you ran the command.

If the "username@server.webfaction.com" directory is appearing on the other server, then you ran the command on the other server at some point.

If I were in your position, I would delete the "username@server.webfaction.com" directory wherever it appears, and then start over by running the correct command on your old server:

rsync -PaAXz ~/ username@newserver.webfaction.com:

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 07 Mar '11, 13:06

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Ah, it all makes so much sense now! Nothing mysterious was happening.. the script had just made the folder on the origin server, and that was then getting copied over with future correct rsync commands. Thanks!

(07 Mar '11, 13:34) Acorn

Would WF recommend rsync as a way to personally backup an account on one of the WF servers?

I have not had much luck archiving my account. So it seems like 1 by 1 file backup is the only way that might work short of requesting a support ticket to roll/make available a regular backup.

Would rsync if feasible be better than running ftp with a "newer than existing" setup? I don't know if ftp clients have settings to delete local files not on the remote end, but then again I have never looked.

Thanks.

permanent link

answered 03 Nov '11, 07:39

Mick

Using rsync is probably the best way to go when you are backing files up to a remote server. In my opinion it would be better than using FTP.

(03 Nov '11, 07:42) todork

I was following the "Migrating Servers" document as I was moving to a new username account, but the instructions weren't working. After contacting support, Aaron T gave me this answer (very quickly I might add) so I thought I'd share it.

I wanted to copy an app I set up on my old account (Redmine in my case) to my new account. Here's the syntax for rsync in this scenario:

rsync -e ssh -Paz <username>@<server_id>.webfaction.com:webapps/<directory> /home/<username>/webapps/<appname>

Where:
username = account login username
server_id = shown on the account dashboard - something like web300
appname = the app name as shown on the Domains/Websites | Applications tab

Thanks Aaron!

permanent link

answered 03 Aug '13, 16:18

RickB

You are welcome. Thank you for sharing!

(03 Aug '13, 16:33) aaront ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×44
×4

question asked: 07 Mar '11, 12:40

question was seen: 5,937 times

last updated: 03 Aug '13, 16:33

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM