WebFaction
Community site: login faq

When migrating from one server to another, should copying the relevant log folder be sufficient? Will the new server know what to do with them?

Also, I understand that the log names are based on the "website" name in the control panel. If you change the name of a website, is it possible to keep the old logs?

asked 09 Mar '11, 12:52

Acorn
accept rate: 0%

The ~/logs directory is a special directory on our platform. It automatically creates new logs based on certain criteria and rotates these logs. It is owned by root and can not be modified by you. You should simply backup the old logs into a tarball,

$ tar -cf logs.tar ~/logs/*

And let the new server generate the logs like it normally would.

permanent link

answered 09 Mar '11, 16:24

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

edited 09 Mar '11, 16:27

Does this mean if I'm migrating between servers I wont be able to see my old and new logs combined when using something like awstats?

(09 Mar '11, 16:41) Acorn

Generally, yes.

However, if you need the logs, go ahead and open a support ticket when you're about to finish the migration. We can rsync the logs from the previous server ~/logs/ to your new server's ~/logs/ directory, overwriting the contents on your new server.

This working will depend on your maintaining the naming convention and such, but we'll be happy to run that one rsync command for you.

(09 Mar '11, 20:08) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×44
×28

question asked: 09 Mar '11, 12:52

question was seen: 2,938 times

last updated: 09 Mar '11, 20:08

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM