WebFaction
Community site: login faq

A few days ago, the Mail6 server was offline. During that time, we weren't able to send IPN confirmations to PayPal. We send the response to PayPal via PHP's fsockopen() function.. did the mailserver being down affect our ability to use fsockopen()?

asked 24 Mar '11, 16:12

jaden
accept rate: 0%

Mail6 (aka smtp.webfaction.com) only handles outgoing SMTP mail traffic. If your code wasn't sending mail via Mail6, then it should not have been affected by the outage.

permanent link

answered 24 Mar '11, 16:17

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

That's what I thought too.. but the script I'm talking about isn't for sending email, yet it was definitely down during the outage, and definitely came back on its own after Mail6 was brought back up.

I guess to clarify my question, does Mail6 also handle outbound fsock connections?

(25 Mar '11, 12:27) jaden

Nope. Mail6 only handles outgoing mail. Outbound fsock connections will still be handled by your web server.

(25 Mar '11, 12:31) David L ♦♦

:/ this is very confusing.. I thought so b/c Mail6 should be running on port 25 right? And in the fsockopen() I'm connecting on 80..

(25 Mar '11, 12:57) jaden

I think it's likely just to be a coincidence but if you want us to have a look at it just open a support ticket.

If you have any error logs (including exceptions or errors thrown in your script) it would be helpful to include those.

(25 Mar '11, 13:02) David L ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×262
×261
×6

question asked: 24 Mar '11, 16:12

question was seen: 3,180 times

last updated: 25 Mar '11, 13:02

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM