WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I've been trying to install MySQL in my home directory but I'm really struggling to get it started.

I've followed the tutorial on the old forums. But when I start it I get the following errors.

110329 10:18:51 mysqld_safe Logging to '$HOME/mysql/data/web187.webfaction.com.err'.
mkdir: cannot create directory `$HOME/mysql': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `$HOME/mysql': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `$HOME/mysql': No such file or directory
110329 10:18:52 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from $HOME/mysql/data
/home/sevenupcan/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe: line 100: $HOME/mysql/data/web187.webfaction.com.err: No such file or directory
/home/sevenupcan/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe: line 137: $HOME/mysql/data/web187.webfaction.com.err: No such file or directory
110329 10:18:52 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file $HOME/mysql/data/web187.webfaction.com.pid ended
/home/sevenupcan/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe: line 100: $HOME/mysql/data/web187.webfaction.com.err: No such file or directory
[sevenupcan@web187 mysql]$ cd ~/mysql; mysqld_safe --defaults-file=~/mysql/my.cnf  &

I've gone over the tutorial a few times but can't see where I'm going wrong. Can anyone spare a few minutes to help me?

Many thanks.

asked 29 Mar '11, 10:52

sevenupcan
accept rate: 0%

Edit your ~/mysql/my.cnf and replace $HOME with the full path to your home directory wherever you see it. For example, if your usersname is "sevenupcan" then you should replace $HOME with /home/sevenupcan.

The reason you ended up with this problem is that you copied what you saw in the forum post directly into my.cnf instead of executing the cat > $HOME/mysql/my.cnf << EOF command shown in the forum post. Executing the command exactly as it is shown would have created your my.cnf with the correct values, eg $HOME would have been expanded to the correct path.

permanent link

answered 29 Mar '11, 12:40

seanf
12.2k42136
accept rate: 37%

edited 29 Mar '11, 12:40

Ah, I see. That's what I was doing wrong. I'm only just learning all the commands available. I've also replaced $MY_PORT with the actual port number, for example, PORT=12345.

And to start it I still use the same command:

cd $HOME/mysql; mysqld_safe --defaults-file=$HOME/mysql/my.cnf  &

If I had of done the initial command correctly would I have entered the whole: cat > $HOME/mysql/my.cnf << EOF

Then followed the rest of the instructions in the tutorial but for the EOF at the end of the instructions would I have pressed Crtl + C to come out of that view?

Thanks for all your time.

(29 Mar '11, 13:34) sevenupcan

No, you don't use CTRL-C to get out of the cat command. It will terminate automatically after you type EOF and press <enter>.

(29 Mar '11, 13:37) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×168

question asked: 29 Mar '11, 10:52

question was seen: 6,299 times

last updated: 29 Mar '11, 13:38

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM