WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I am trying to connect the program pgAdmin III to PostgreSQL database on server. What should I specify in the Host field?

I introduced the web146.webfaction.com but failed to connect.

asked 04 Apr '11, 08:38

Andrey_T
accept rate: 0%

You cannot connect directly to your DB server from your desktop or any other remote system. Instead, you must go through a SSH tunnel and then use "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" as the host name in your DB client. More information is available in our documentation: Accessing a Database Remotely

permanent link

answered 04 Apr '11, 08:40

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Is it possible to use pgAdmin after performing the steps in that document? I've tried the directions here [http://forum.webfaction.com/viewtopic.php?id=3458], but I'm still getting "password authentication failed for user..."

(12 Oct '12, 02:12) Chris Cooper

Yes, it's possible. Can you confirm that you're using your database name as both the 'username' and 'database' name in pgAdmin, and using the database password in the 'password' field? Most commonly these errors are due to specifying an incorrect username

(12 Oct '12, 02:18) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×109
×84
×2

question asked: 04 Apr '11, 08:38

question was seen: 10,643 times

last updated: 12 Oct '12, 02:18

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM