WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I would like install one.

asked 10 Apr '11, 10:08

dapingguo
accept rate: 0%

We do not have an installer for the reddit source (and have no plans to create one). You'll need to manually install the source.

permanent link

answered 10 Apr '11, 10:14

David L ♦♦
1.4k13
accept rate: 45%

Thanks. Any reason there is no such installer? Is it going to be difficult to install it on WebFaction manually?

(10 Apr '11, 10:30) dapingguo

Since Reddit is open-source on github (https://github.com/reddit/reddit/wiki/Install-guide), I'm really interested to install an instance on my webfaction account, but in regards of dependency, do you think it's possible ?

Program

PostgreSQL | 9.0+
Cassandra | 0.8+
memcached | 1.4+
RabbitMQ | 2.0+
HAProxy

Libraries

Python | 2.7.x
Setuptools
Profiler
PIL
libmemcached libpqxx gettext

Misc. Utilities

Git
GCC / G++
Cython
Subversion
daemontools
optipng
psql

(01 May '12, 09:17) reyman64

Yes, it is possible. Our CentOS 6 machines already have PostgreSQL 9 and Memcached 1.4.4 installed, so you won't need to install them yourself.

We know a couple of customers are using it and the installation guide looks pretty straight forward. You can create a database user from the control panel and our instructions here for memcached. There are instructions for RabbitMQ and Cassandra on this forum.

(01 May '12, 11:08) iliasr ♦♦

Thanks for answer @iliasr, do you have an idea of disk storage / memory need reddit ? I have only a basic plan with 256 ram, i don't know if that enough for 15 20 regular users (in a first time). (Ps : i don't find information about cassandra on this site :/ )

(01 May '12, 14:10) reyman64

I just checked another customer's Reddit site, and they seem to have in excess of 5,000 registered users. Their site uses ~150MB of RAM (including 68M for memcached). They do not appear to be running Cassandra, HAProxy, and RabbitMQ, so I can't say how much those might add. We don't have build procedures for any of those applications, but you should be able to build them from source by following our generic instructions: Installing Software from Source

Hope that helps!

(01 May '12, 16:41) seanf

Thanks for these informations! I ask on reddit-dev google groups, it seems cassandra is a very very consumming service, 128mb with gourou optimization and 512mb for newbies like me ... :( I ask to reddit dev to know if is it possible with last architecture update to run reddit without cassandra for little use case like mine.. update : It seems this is not possible now with last architecture... i need to install an old version probably if i want only postgresql.

(02 May '12, 16:17) reyman64
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×2

question asked: 10 Apr '11, 10:08

question was seen: 1,993 times

last updated: 02 May '12, 16:31

Related questions

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM