WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Problem: When trying to forward email with their attachments using an Android email client set to use imap, emails are sent, but attachments are not.

Scenerio: Using an Android (2.1 and 2.2) based email client on smart phone Client set up with imap for both mail outgoing (smtp.webfaction.com) and incoming (mail.webfaction.com) Both set with SSL on and required log in. Outgoing port set to 465, Incoming set to 993.

Email received that has an attachment. Forward chosen from phone. Body entered, fowarding address entered. Sent.

Receivor get email, but not the original attachment.

HOWEVER, if I generate an original (new) email on the phone and add an attachment, that email is received with the attachment.

Any ideas? Could this be a server side setting? I've seen this with multiple phones, and multiple webfaction accounts.

Thanks.

asked 12 Apr '11, 20:57

griggs
accept rate: 0%

I'm almost certain that the default Android email client strips attachments from forwarded messages (it does in my tests on a stock Froyo ROM). IMAP isn't really a factor here at all, since outgoing mail uses SMTP.

As a workaround, you need to save the attachment to the phone, and then re-attach it to the message that you're forwarding.

If that's too much work, then you can use an alternate client like K9.

permanent link

answered 12 Apr '11, 21:59

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

yeah - I'm discovering that very fact... Bad Android. Bad, bad Android.

(12 Apr '11, 22:36) griggs

How large is the attachment? We have a size limit of 20MB. You may also submit a support ticket with the full message header and we can investigate the mail server logs.

permanent link

answered 12 Apr '11, 21:24

johns
5.3k312
accept rate: 23%

I don't think size is an issue. Attachments are small (less than 100k) .pdf's.

Which msg header do you want? The forwarded (unsucessful email) or the original one with the attachment?

thx.

(12 Apr '11, 21:50) griggs

Any messages that show our mail servers in the sender or received by fields we can look up the logs for.

(12 Apr '11, 22:04) johns

Looks like this might be some sort of problem that exists on the Android platform and this is not a Webfaction issue.

I'll continue to investigate and report back with my findings.

permanent link

answered 12 Apr '11, 22:35

griggs
accept rate: 0%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×22
×17
×6

question asked: 12 Apr '11, 20:57

question was seen: 5,637 times

last updated: 12 Apr '11, 22:36

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM