WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hi, I want to "connect" external website's URL (forum.eran.org.il) to my WebFaction sub-domain (forum.innovationimitation.com). The external site is managed by an Israeli hosting company, and so far what they did is simply to forward request to my web-faction. But this isn't what I am trying to achieve. My goal is that when I visit forum.eran.org.il I will be getting my web-faction site BUT the URL in the adress bar of the browser stay forum.eran.org.il.

Can you please guide me how to achieve this?

Thank you, Mike

asked 14 Apr '11, 04:25

MikeMarsian
accept rate: 0%

What you'll need to do is:

1. Set up your domain in the control panel
  2. Have your other host set up an A record for your domain which points to your server (174.121.79.132)

That's it :)

permanent link

answered 14 Apr '11, 04:29

David L ♦♦
1.4k13
accept rate: 45%

Thanx for the reply, David. What do you mean by "setting up my domain in the control panel"?

Currently in the control panel I have the domain "innovationimitation.com" and the sub-domains "forum.innovationimitation.com" and "www.innovationimitation.com". What else should I add?

(17 Apr '11, 04:07) MikeMarsian

You've already done everything.

Now all you have to do is set up the A records at your current host or DNS provider.

(17 Apr '11, 04:12) David L ♦♦

I see, thanx.

The host added the A record, but now for some reason the domain forum.innovationimitation.com isn't accessible at all (returns: The connection has timed out,the server at forum.innovationimitation.com is taking too long to respond.)

while the parent domain innovationimitation.com works just fine. Weird.

(17 Apr '11, 04:23) MikeMarsian

It's working fine for me right now. It sounds like you have a stale DNS cache.

Try flushing your DNS cache and let us know if it helps.

(17 Apr '11, 04:29) David L ♦♦

Yep, it's working for me now too. Unfortunately the external domain still doesn't work - will have to take it to the hosting company.

Thanx a lot for your quick reply David.

(17 Apr '11, 04:33) MikeMarsian

We figured it out with the hosting company (the ip was wrong), and I also added forum.eran.org.il to the web-sites list. Now all works prefectly.

Thanx :)

(17 Apr '11, 12:10) MikeMarsian
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×105

question asked: 14 Apr '11, 04:25

question was seen: 2,914 times

last updated: 17 Apr '11, 12:10

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2020 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM