WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I've create few email addresses from the amdin panel portal of webfaction,
I want to send email using an email address other then mailbox-name@domain.com -
I researched but what i found is I can generate n-number of email address - but in form there is no field to set password for particular email address !!!

whats the best way if I want to create user1@domain.com/password1 user2@domain.com/password2 with single mailbox as - domain_name ?

asked 18 Apr '11, 04:10

Japan
accept rate: 0%

I want to send email using an email address other then mailbox-name@domain.com

The outgoing email address can be whatever you need. Just create this email in the Control Panel, and specify it when sending mail. For example, if sending from the WebFaction Roundcube Webmail, you will want to specify an identity as described in our documentation, here:

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/email.html?#webmail

If you are sending email from an application, you can specify the outgoing email address from within the application:

http://docs.webfaction.com/user-guide/email.html#sending-mail-from-an-application

specifically: from_addr = 'my_email_address@mydomain.tld'

However, email addresses themselves do not hold email, so there is no reason for them to have a password. Rather, email addresses point to mailboxes, and mailboxes have passwords. You can create email addresses for any email identifier, so you can send and recieve emails from something that is not necessarily "mailbox-name@domain.com".

You can also point multiple email addresses at the same mailbox. You can also point a single email address to more than one mailbox, and arriving emails will be delivered to both.

permanent link

answered 18 Apr '11, 04:45

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93260
accept rate: 43%

edited 18 Apr '11, 04:48

what if I want to use roundcubemail or squirrelmail as client to use ? I need to send mailbox passwd to all users ?

(18 Apr '11, 04:54) Japan

You can change the sender address used by RoundCube via Settings -> Identities. Same change can be done in SquirrelMail as well.

In order to access their mailboxes, all your users will need to be aware of the corresponding mailbox username and password (regardless of the mail software that is used).

(18 Apr '11, 05:01) tie
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×260
×113

question asked: 18 Apr '11, 04:10

question was seen: 4,184 times

last updated: 18 Apr '11, 05:01

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM