WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Does my MySQL database count against my available memory? If I get to a 2-3gb database will performance be horrible if its stuck within my memory quota? What are my options at WebFaction if the db gets too big? What kinds of setups do people have? I've read people have several accounts to round robin the website across, do you do a similar thing with the db?

I'm trying to estimate how much what I'm attempting to do will cost and what if any preparations I should make beforehand. My site will be a backend server from a bunch of free mobile apps I'm releasing and its quite possible I could get a huge amount of casual users for a time. Just don't know what questions I need to be asking.

asked 21 Apr '11, 21:08

Grashopa
accept rate: 0%

Hi,

MySQL databases don't count for your memory but they do count in your disk space quota. Any queries that run for more than 60 seconds are killed. If your database gets too big, queries on it will most likely run for more than one minute and hence they would be killed (it can also lead to heavy load on the server)

If you can create an app setup in a way that you can separate databases/tables across machines and use tools like memcached for query caching you can easily handle a high no. of users.

Please note you would need to get remote access enabled on your databases for the above setup to work which you can do by filing a support ticket.

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 21 Apr '11, 21:22

neeravk
1.5k3412
accept rate: 41%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×84
×4

question asked: 21 Apr '11, 21:08

question was seen: 3,520 times

last updated: 21 Apr '11, 21:22

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM