WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Hello.

I'm running an expression-eninge powered site on say xyz.org, and would like to transition everything xyz.com. I would like to make sure that a request to xyz.org/news/1 would also automatically resolve to xyz.com/news/1

What's the best sequence of going about changing things around, without having any downtime...?

Additionally, I'm running google apps on this domain... for that, do I just change the dns settings under DNS override? (I found more details on the google side of things here)

From looking around, this will probably have to be accomplished with a .htaccess entry, but I'm not sure what exactly to add to my .htaccess file.

Thanks in advance. Timo.

asked 02 May '11, 14:18

timo
accept rate: 0%

For the URL redirection, yes, you need to do that in .htaccess. An example is available in our documentation: Redirect a Domain with a Static/CGI/PHP App.

Regarding Google Apps, we've got that covered also: Using Google Apps for Email

Hope that helps!

permanent link

answered 02 May '11, 17:08

seanf
12.2k41936
accept rate: 37%

Thanks.

I was having problems with assigning the new .com domain within the control-panel, and all over sudden my main .org stopped working... so I was wondering what the best "sequence of events" is (and if there is maybe a more detailed walkthrough somewhere, on how to add the new domain in the control-panel.

Timo.

(03 May '11, 13:31) timo

To add a domain and its subdomains:

1. Log into the Control Panel.
  2. Go to the Domains page.
  3. Click the "Add new domain" button at the top of the page.
  4. Enter the domain name, eg "xyz.com".
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each subdomain of the domain, eg "www.xyz.com".
  6. Click each domain and subdomain you just added to assign them to your site.
  7. Add the redirect to your site app's .htaccess.

If you need something more specific than that, please open a support ticket and let us know the exact domains, sites, and apps that you're trying to set up.

(03 May '11, 14:02) seanf
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×104
×76
×33

question asked: 02 May '11, 14:18

question was seen: 3,656 times

last updated: 03 May '11, 14:02

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM