WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I had set up my app to send emails through google and it was working fine... until I hit the sending limit. So I am trying to send the automatic emails my site generates, through webfaction's email hosting.

I set up a second domain mail.getclover.com, added a mailbox getclover_, and added an email address, info@mail.getclover.com. I then added this to my django seetings:

`EMAIL_HOST = 'smtp.webfaction.com'
EMAIL_HOST_USER = 'getclover_'
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = 'secretpassword'
DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = 'info@mail.getclover.com'
SERVER_EMAIL = 'info@mail.getclover.com'`

Yet when my app uses send_mail the connection times out. What am I missing?

asked 10 May '11, 15:53

yochanan
accept rate: 0%

I don't see any problems with your email settings.

You can test them by sending a message from the Django shell, as shown in the Django email docs.

If it doesn't time out there (and it probably won't), then it's some other part of your code that's timing out.

permanent link

answered 10 May '11, 17:59

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thanks for answering. You were right it does work in the shell, but the trace back seems to be telling me that the timeout is occurring in the send mail, or at least a function called by the send mail. Further, it was working in two separate views with google apps, and when I switched it both broke. One of the views I wrote, so it wouldn't be surprising that it broke, but the other is the built in forgot password view. (Not that I am saying that I can't mess that up too, just that I have no idea how I could have)

(10 May '11, 19:23) yochanan

Hi,

We would need to take a better look at your account to better debug this issue. Could you file a support ticket using https://help.webfaction.com so that we can do that?

(10 May '11, 22:37) neeravk

Hmmm... I restarted apache and it seems to have fixed the problem. The reason I didn't think that was an issue was because I couldn't get it working on my development server either. Thanks anyways.

(10 May '11, 23:18) yochanan
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×261

question asked: 10 May '11, 15:53

question was seen: 6,211 times

last updated: 10 May '11, 23:18

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM