WebFaction
Community site: login faq

Dear WebFaction Community,

Has anyone installed a VNC [Virtual Network Computing] server or similar Graphical Remote Desktop Interface to their WebFaction account? I'd like to develop Android apps using Eclipse and run the tests on WebFaction.

My Sys Admin skills are NOT advanced to say the least, but i can pretty much follow instructions. :)

Thanks for the help.

Love and peace,

Joe

asked 11 May '11, 11:01

jdor
accept rate: 20%

It might be theoretically possible, but it is unlikely. The 2 major drawbacks are,

1. No kind of GUI(X windows) is not installed on the machines since we do not use them, you would have to build one from scratch,
  2. GUIs are memory intensive apps, running one within the Shared memory confinements would be nearly impossible.

What you should do is look into VirtualBox if you need to simulate an OS, VirtualBox is a program for your local PC and runs on almost any OS and can virtualize other OSes.

permanent link

answered 13 May '11, 07:49

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

edited 13 May '11, 17:04

Thanks, John. You always have good info.

I am looking to run remotely, not locally. I want to "rent" my Linux development machine from some kind of a provider, and then deploy from there to various platforms, WebFaction, included.

(13 May '11, 12:39) jdor

It's not going to work - WebFaction servers do not run XWindows so there's nothing for VNC to connect to. SSH is your only remote option.

If you want a box to run your tests on, Linode is pretty cheap and allows you to install whatever you want (you get root access). The corollary is that you need to handle security on that box though. A VM is a good solution as well.

permanent link

answered 13 May '11, 09:18

hanchang
accept rate: 0%

Dear Hanchang,

Thanks for the reply. As I told John S. [above] I am looking to "rent" a remote Linux development capability from a provider. I Googled your suggestion, Linode, and they seem to be what I am looking for, although, [thanks for the heads-up] I don't want to handle the security. So here are 3 questions for you and anyone else that wants to respond.

1. Do you recommend any alternatives to Linode?

2. Also, who would you recommend for a "VM" solution? Any that "play nicely" with WebFaction?

3. One last question. Will a "VPS" solution do what i need it to do, i.e. let me develop and GUI test Android apps using eclipse and something like VNC/ssh?

Thanks in advance.

Love and peace, Joe

(13 May '11, 12:57) jdor

Yes. It has now been done.

permanent link

answered 21 Apr '12, 11:25

ryans ♦♦
5.0k93360
accept rate: 43%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×102
×12
×2
×2
×1

question asked: 11 May '11, 11:01

question was seen: 4,690 times

last updated: 21 Apr '12, 11:25

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM