WebFaction
Community site: login faq

WebDAV services work as expected using basic authentication and an ".htpasswd" file in the WebDAV directory. Putting an ".htaccess" file in the WebDAV directory to change the authentication method (i.e. "AuthType digest") and/or the location of the password file (e.g. "AuthUserFile /home/myhome/adm/passwd") does not appear to have the desired effect, and password files created using "htdigest" cause all login attempts to fail.

Have I missed something? Is there a way to implement digest authentication for for my WebDAV server, preferably using a password file located outside the WebDAV directory as I do for regular HTTP authentication?

asked 17 May '11, 22:06

tjonz
accept rate: 0%

As explained in the link below, WebDAV with Basic authentication doesn't work with Windows Explorer. Digest is required, so I think this would be very helpful - at least mention this limitation in the docs. Thanks!

http://shon.org/blog/2010/03/04/howto-fix-windows-7-64bit-webdav/

permanent link

answered 12 Nov '12, 15:57

skaha
accept rate: 0%

Ok, we'll look into adding that to our docs.

(12 Nov '12, 17:08) seanf

The shared apache server is built to use basic auth only. You would have to build your own apache/webDAV stack to overcome this.

permanent link

answered 17 May '11, 23:39

johns
5.4k312
accept rate: 23%

Thanks for the prompt reply, John. It certainly answers my question. This tidbit of information would be a useful addition to WebFaction's WebDAV docs, otherwise there's no reason to assume digest authentication is unsupported.

When you say the shared Apache instance only supports basic authentication I assume you're referring only to WebDAV; I use digest authentication for vanilla HTTP requests to the shared server without any problems. This also begs the question of whether there's a good reason digest authentication is unsupported for WebDAV requests (it is, after all, recommended in the mod_webdav docs) or whether that just happens to be the way things are.

(18 May '11, 14:44) tjonz

When you say the shared Apache instance only supports basic authentication I assume you're referring only to WebDAV

That's correct - when you install a WebDAV app via our control panel, it's configured for basic authentication in httpd.conf. The AuthType cannot be overridden via .htaccess.

This also begs the question of whether there's a good reason digest authentication is unsupported for WebDAV requests (it is, after all, recommended in the mod_webdav docs) or whether that just happens to be the way things are.

It's mostly just the way things are. I'll pass your questions along to our sysadmins for consideration, eg the possibility of making digest authentication an option for WebDAV apps.

(18 May '11, 15:38) seanf

I'll pass your questions along to our sysadmins for consideration, eg the possibility of making digest authentication an option for WebDAV apps.

Cool. Tnx.

(26 May '11, 17:12) tjonz

Would be really great to have digest authentication for WebDAV, because running Baikal (CardDAV/CalDAV) would be possible

(31 Mar '13, 06:17) gniemetz
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×31
×16

question asked: 17 May '11, 22:06

question was seen: 8,577 times

last updated: 31 Mar '13, 06:17

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM