WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I use Windows for my Django development and on occasion I need to push it to WebFaction, essentially upgrading the web application. Sometimes I also make quick fixes directly on the WebFaction server.

I'm looking for a way, using Windows, to synchronize my local version to the one on WebFaction. Today I use FTP which is cumbersome and prone to errors in the form of missing to synchronize some files.

So basically I'm looking for a program which seamlessly connects to WebFaction using SSH and has the ability to compare files by size, date or content, against my local version.

Please only answer if you have successfully yourself with good results. I have seen way too many people suggest some programs that they have not tried themselves.

asked 05 Nov '10, 06:33

Deniz Dogan
accept rate: 0%

phew... the short version is: install git on windows and on your webfaction server. then start using the version control system for your project and push your changes to a repository hosted on your webfaction account. search the webfaction docs / tutorials, they have a fool proof git setup somewhere. after pushing your development to the server you can login and run a deploy script that will checkout your last changes and restart the webserver easily.

but first of all: dont give up! if you knew about DVCS already you wouldnt ask this question. you will have to learn a lot of new oncepts now to wrap your head around git and it will be frustrating and time consuming but i swear to god: go to irc, ask questions in the corresponding groups and in no time you will be so much more professional. your work will actually be MORE FUN. its worth the initial hassle, really.

permanent link

answered 05 Nov '10, 06:43

mbrochh
accept rate: 16%

edited 05 Nov '10, 06:45

I do know about DVCS and I use Mercurial, but only locally. I have also used git quite a bit for a free software web browser project. However, I'd rather not have to make a commit to make some changes, such as batch convert a bunch of images (my website is kind of image heavy), etc., so it's not entirely ideal for me.

(05 Nov '10, 08:04) Deniz Dogan

Accepted after discussions on IRC.

(15 Nov '10, 08:54) Deniz Dogan

It sounds to me like you need DeltaCopy, which is basically a Windows wrapper for rsync.

I haven't used DeltaCopy myself, but I've used rsync extensively, and it does what it says on the tin :)

permanent link

answered 05 Nov '10, 10:43

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

edited 05 Nov '10, 10:43

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×909
×103
×14
×8
×3

question asked: 05 Nov '10, 06:33

question was seen: 3,210 times

last updated: 15 Nov '10, 08:54

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM