WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I'm new to WebFaction, and I've been trying to set up some git repos on my account based on previously mentioned Toroid tutorial (http://toroid.org/ams/git-website-howto). My experience with setting up a git repo is minimal -- usually ops people at my workplace do that. I've run into a few questions...

• Can I manually set up my git repos without using the WebFaction git app? If so, where would I store the repos -- I don't have mkdir rights on ~/webapps? ~/git/repos/something.git?
  • Assuming I have SSH set up properly, are there any security risks to setting up push/fetch repos on my own outside of the WebFaction git app as indicated in the tutorial?
  • What advantage, if anything, do I get with the WebFaction git app, other than multi-user support...?

Thanks!

asked 27 May '11, 14:23

nthdegreeburns
accept rate: 0%

Good questions!

Can I manually set up my git repos without using the WebFaction git app?

Yes.

If so, where would I store the repos -- I don't have mkdir rights on ~/webapps? ~/git/repos/something.git?

As you noted, you cannot create directories directly in ~/webapps. If you don't plan to serve your repos via HTTP or HTTPS, then you can use some other directory like ~/git/repos/ or some other directory outside of ~/webapps. You can name the directory anything you want.

Assuming I have SSH set up properly, are there any security risks to setting up push/fetch repos on my own outside of the WebFaction git app as indicated in the tutorial?

Pushing and pulling via SSH is very secure, no worries there. As long as you keep your home directory permission locked down, you should have no problems.

What advantage, if anything, do I get with the WebFaction git app, other than multi-user support...?

If you create a git app via our control panel and serve it via a website, then you can use git's web UI to browse your repos. Other than that, there's not much advantage. You can have multi-user support via SSH by creating extra SSH users in the control panel and setting your ACLs to allow those users access to your repo directories.

permanent link

answered 27 May '11, 17:54

seanf
12.2k41836
accept rate: 37%

Thanks for the feedback! Now I just have to figure out deploying WebFaction-friendly code from a local Django installation using Git.

(27 May '11, 21:40) nthdegreeburns

There's a related community post right here :)

(27 May '11, 21:49) ryans ♦♦
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×111
×103

question asked: 27 May '11, 14:23

question was seen: 3,453 times

last updated: 27 May '11, 21:49

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2019 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM