WebFaction
Community site: login faq

I have Django installed and linked my domains and applications in the Webfaction control panel. For the "website," I have selected the following subdomains and linked it to my Django app: - k-zhu.com - www.k-zhu.com - kzhu.webfactional.com

When I navigate to k-zhu.com, I get the Webfaction "Site Not Configured" error, but when for the other two URLs (www.k-zhu.com and kzhu.webfactional.com), I see my Django app. What am I overlooking?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much.

asked 01 Jun '11, 21:23

kzhu
accept rate: 0%

In general, DNS problems that cause the "Site Not Configured" error come in a few different flavors:

• Stale local DNS cache
  • Stale remote DNS cache
  • Stale WebFaction DNS server

To understand what's happening, consider the DNS process:

1. You attempt to load http://www.k-zhu.com/
  2. Your computer checks its local DNS cache to see if "www.k-zhu.com" is there. It's not, so:
  3. Your computer checks its configured DNS server (usually your ISP's DNS servers) to get a fresh value.
  4. The ISP's DNS server checks its own cache to see if "www.k-zhu.com" is cached. It's not, so:
  5. The ISP's DNS server checks the nameservers for the domain (which are the WebFaction DNS servers) to get a fresh value.
  6. The WebFaction DNS server provides the requested DNS information for your domain and returns it to your ISP's DNS server, which then caches the value for 24 hours.
  7. The ISP's DNS server then returns the information to your local computer, which caches it for 24 hours.

What happens when you set up a new Domain or Website Record (or change the IP) in the WebFaction Control Panel is that the WebFaction DNS servers are updated. This process takes about 5 minutes.

If you attempt to view the website during the 5 minutes when the WebFaction DNS servers are stale, or have already performed a similar DNS query within the past 24 hours, then it's likely that there is an incorrect value cached at either your local machine or your ISP's DNS servers (or both).

If the stale value is in your local machine, you can clear your local DNS cache. This causes your local computer to request a fresh value from your ISP's DNS servers on the next attempt.

If the stale value is in your ISP's DNS servers, then clearing the local cache won't help. Instead, you will need to either (1) temporarily edit your etc/hosts file (detailed instructions here), (2) temporarily use an alternative DNS server, or (3) just wait up to 24 hours for the ISP's cache to expire.

If you have tried the above suggestions and the WebFaction DNS servers are actually returning the incorrect (stale) value even a long while after you have updated the Website records, please open a support ticket and let us know. We'll look into it and fix it right away.

Hope that clarifies this somewhat confusing issue!

permanent link

answered 01 Jun '11, 22:12

ryans ♦♦
5.0k73158
accept rate: 43%

edited 20 Nov '11, 20:48

It is likely DNS latency, the domain loads for me,

http://k-zhu.com/

Try clearing your local DNS cache and loading it again.

permanent link

answered 01 Jun '11, 21:31

johns ♦♦
5.2k211
accept rate: 23%

HA, I feel silly now, but thanks -- appreciate it!

(01 Jun '11, 21:33) kzhu
Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Question tags:

×899
×37
×32
×28

question asked: 01 Jun '11, 21:23

question was seen: 6,387 times

last updated: 13 Jun, 10:30

WEBFACTION
REACH US
SUPPORT
AFFILIATE PROGRAM
LEGAL
© COPYRIGHT 2003-2016 SWARMA LIMITED - WEBFACTION IS A SERVICE OF SWARMA LIMITED
REGISTERED IN ENGLAND AND WALES 5729350 - VAT REGISTRATION NUMBER 877397162
5TH FLOOR, THE OLD VINYL FACTORY, HAYES, UB3 1HA, UNITED KINGDOM